Do you want to help power your career and be part of an evolving energy industry?
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic Design Engineer to join our Performance and PlanningTeam. The energy industry is advancing with investment in smart technology innovation and Northern Powergrid, as the company responsible for powering everyday life for 8 million customers across 3.9 million homes and businesses in the North East, Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire, is at the forefront of delivering a power network that meets the region’s needs, now and in the future.
Our vision is to be the best energy company in serving our 3.9 million homes, whilst delivering a sustainable energy solution. As a dedicated Design Engineer you will be an integral part of achieving this, while always striving to keep our customers’ power flowing. You will ensure designs are produced to the highest standard prior to submission for technical approval as stipulated under Delegations. Provision of technical advice, guidance and support to the HV/LV design teams on a range of specialist engineering areas associated with the 33/66/132kV networks.
Along with a competitive salary of £44,497 up to £60,850 we also offer great benefits such as;
• Enrolment into our pension scheme
• 25 days holiday
• Personal Transport Provision
We’re excited to hear from candidates with a passion for our company and the industry and a desire to succeed.
The successful candidate will:
• The preparation and successful authorisation of Investment Appraisal Documents for customer driven applications seeking connection onto the EHV & 132kV network
• Work with other business units to develop/implement smart solutions for our customers
• Represent NPg (as necessary) on industry working groups • Liaise directly with representatives of key stakeholders e.g., HS2, Network Rail
• Liaise with NGET for Statement of Works and Modification Applications.
• Proactively identify improvements to our engineering policy & business processes working closely with all business units
• Management of the customer experience for all technical aspects relating to their EHV connection solutions
• Ensure all EHV designs meet appropriate policies & regulatory requirements
• Maintain/improve the quality and timeliness of designs within the Guaranteed Standards framework
• Complete the post acceptance elements of customer driven work including stability studies, G5 Harmonics and interface with customers accordingly
• Technically adept in the area of EHV /132kV network design • Strong Analytical and Decision-Making skills
• Customer Service – able to deliver effective customer service both internally and externally
• Communication – able to communicate in an effective and persuasive manner
• IT Skills – able to use a variety of software tools to produce electrical designs and update databases
• Team working – able to work with others in a flexible manner
Qualifications and Attributes
Essential Qualifications and Experience
• HNC in Electrical Power Engineering
• Full UK driving license
• Usage of MS Office packages, DINIS, IPSA or other modelling software.
• Network Design experience at 33/66/132kV
• Knowledge of Electrical Power Networks including Protection Systems
• Curtailment and flexibility assessments
• Knowledge of various generation technologies
• Organizing multiple projects
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
• Degree in Engineering (Power Systems)
• System Modelling and power flow analysis
• Experience in managing multiple priorities
• Experience in producing technical reports and financial appraisal documents
• Operational experience up to/including 132kV
Closing date for applications: 4 February 2022
Applicants are considered on the basis of their suitability for the post irrespective of sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender re-assignment, race, age or disability, in accordance with the Equality Act 2010.