JOB ROLE AND SUMMARY
At milkFloat we’re passionate about solving our customers' hardest problems. We leverage new ways of working and the best of modern technology to provide tailored offerings that adapt to our customers needs and relentlessly focus on providing actionable insight and compelling prototypes. Working as part of our highly experienced, multi-disciplinary team, our talented engineers are central to this - applying their technical expertise, creativity and problem solving skills to ensure our customers always get the best experience.
milkFloat actively avoids pigeon-holing our technical talent. We’re seeking a talented technologist that embodies the definition of a “T-Shaped” individual - someone with a broad familiarity with a range of technologies (front and back end) but specialising in a particular area. Most importantly, milkFloat is looking for someone that enjoys the variety and challenge of picking up and trying out new technologies and applying them to solve our customers’ unique and interesting challenges.
We are a hybrid working team, working remotely utilising video conferencing, Slack, Trello and other collaboration tools, as well as working together in person in our exciting office spaces in central London. We decide on a week to week basis what combination will suit the team’s work-life balance and project commitments best.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The varied nature of milkFloat’s work combined with the range of customer problems we encounter requires a highly flexible and adaptable candidate that can adjust to meet the following responsibilities:
- Be a key contributor to our design sprints, actively participating in creative thinking, conversation and debate.
- Work as part of a team to rapidly deliver prototypes using a mixture of known and unfamiliar technologies to demonstrate the art of the possible.
- Work with startups and SMEs to evaluate and pilot their offerings in the context of our customers’ problems.
- Work both independently and collaboratively on our innovation and research tasks, helping us to deliver new insights and learnings to our internal and external customers
- Proven track record as a strong technologist with the ability to work well in a small, fast-paced team.
- Familiarity and comfort with a breadth of technologies and an appreciation of how they can be combined and applied to solve customer problems.
- A particular specialism in either front-end or server-side technologies
- Strong communication skills - comfortable in customer facing situations and an ability to discuss technical approaches clearly with non-technical stakeholders
- A keen interest in the latest technologies in their field and an eye for distinguishing hype from substance
- Experience working “in the cloud” using cloud-native patterns and building upon high-order cloud services (AWS experience preferable)
- Familiar with best practice Continuous Integration and Delivery techniques and tooling.
- Experience with Docker, React, Python/Flask and NodeJS.
- Comfortable working with “big data” and associated technologies and patterns
- Experience working with Infrastructure-as-Code (Terraform/CDK)
- Experience of applying security best practice when writing code or configuring and deploying new technologies to cloud environments
- An interest in and ability to prototype with Machine Learning technologies
- Knowledge of the Government Domain and High Side working
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.