About the role
Electricity Transmission (ET) is navigating through an exciting time as we evolve to meet net-zero targets for 2050. Joining us as a Lead Transmission Engineer you will lead and drive the design assurance of all aspects of protection and control technologies delivered as part of the electricity transmission capital programme, working at the heart of National Grid Electricity Transmission’s Asset Management and Engineering department in Asset Operations. The location is flexible based on a number of core NG locations and hybrid working will be considered with occasional travel to other NG offices, suppliers offices and substation sites.
As a Lead Transmission Engineer in the Protection & Control (P&C) team, you’ll be responsible for leading the design assurance, commissioning assurance and protection relay setting assurance associated with electricity transmission capital programme. This programme includes new customer connections, wider infrastructure construction and asset replacement activities.
- Provide expert technical and asset management knowledge in the area of P & C transmission equipment.
- Be involved across the whole project lifecycle from development through to commissioning of the P & C Assets.
- Input to the creation and refinement of policies, procedures, technical specifications, work specifications, internal standards and technical guidance within area of expertise.
- Work closely with suppliers and integrators of protection and control solution on project designs, factory acceptance testing and post commissioning support
- Be accountable for the leadership and development of virtual team working to take advantage of technology and methodology developments within specific area of technical expertise.
- Input to Type Registration activities in line with relevant procedures.
- Communicate difficult and standard issues associated within area of expertise in a clear and concise manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Represent National Grid on appropriate national and international committees influencing the direction of national policy, standard or specifications.
- Support and mentor other members of the team.
You will be a self-starter who is eager to develop their business and technical skills as well as the following:
- Technical understanding of protection and control equipment used in transmission networks.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of Asset Management.
- Technical understanding of transmission power networks including all principal components and system parameters.
- Ability to thrive when working to challenging deadlines.
- Able to communicate issues associated within area of expertise in a clear and concise manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Essential - Numerate degree, or equivalent experience and membership or the ability to be a member of relevant professional body.
- Desirable – Industry recognised qualification including Electrical Power System and protection modules and Institute of Asset Management “Principles of Asset Management” certificate.
What You'll Get
A competitive salary between £43,500 – £65,000– dependent on capability, plus Job Requirement Car
As well as your base salary, you will receive a bonus based on personal and company performance and a competitive contributory pension scheme where we will double match your contribution to a maximum company contribution of 12%. You will also have access to flexible benefits such as a share incentive plan, salary sacrifice car and technology schemes, support via employee assistance lines and matched charity giving to name a few.
National Grid Electricity Transmission (NGET) is at the heart of energy in the UK. The electricity we provide gets the nation to work, powers schools and brings energy to life. Our energy network connects the nation, so it’s essential that it’s continually evolving, advancing and improving.
In NGET we are passionate about both operating our network safely and providing highly reliable quality of supply for our customers. At the heart of achieving these outcomes is the effective control and operation of our network.
At National Grid, through listening to what our customers need, every day we do the right thing and find a better way.
As a National Grid employee, you’ll treat our customers as a priority, taking time to listen and work with them to help give them the best experience we possibly can. You’ll need to be proactive and flexible in your approach and continually look for ways to exceed their expectations – sometimes in unexpected and helpful ways. You’ll provide accessible information when our customers need it and make things simple by using your expertise to guide them. Above all, you’ll follow through on your promises to deliver value, drive efficiency and give them a great customer experience.
We offer inclusion and diversity training for everyone here at National Grid, with a view to building an inclusive working environment and developing all our employees. Training opportunities range from unconscious bias and reverse mentoring to targeted training initiatives which are tailored to support our diverse and innovative work force.
This role closes on 31st January 2022 however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not wait until the published closing date as this can vary.
At National Grid, we work towards the highest standards in everything we do, including how we support, value and develop our people. Our aim is to encourage and support employees to thrive and be the best they can be. We celebrate the difference people can bring into our organisation, and welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds, and offer flexible and tailored support, at home and in the office. Our goal is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, the innovation from diverse teams & perspectives and business need. We are committed to building a workforce so we can represent the communities we serve and have a working environment in which each individual feels valued, respected, fairly treated, and able to reach their full potential