BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
Product Engineering Graduate positions
Start date: January, April, June or September 2022
Base location: Gloucester, Guildford, Great Baddow, Leeds or London
Here at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we exist to protect and enhance the connected world. We are committed to helping governments, organisations and society navigate digital threats and opportunities.
One way we do that is by identifying and developing a set of products aligned with our core customers’ needs, to enable their missions. This often involves solving hard problems, pushing the limits of technology, while maintaining robust reliability, and ensuring the highest security. We are looking to recruit those with the potential to be great engineers, to help us achieve this.
As the cyber and intelligence arm of BAE Systems, we employ over 3,500 people around the world, with the main focus being here in the UK. This presents a prolific set of opportunities for our engineers to develop their skills and progress their careers.
The graduate programme is designed to give you ownership of your career aspirations, supported by training and practical experience to help you succeed. You will be part of our Future Talent Community and be assigned a Career Manager, who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. All of this is designed to complement your career development, fuel your ambition, and give depth to your training and career.
As a Graduate Engineer, you will join an established product team, working alongside skilled and experienced individuals who are motivated to train and coach you on the day-to-day skills required to produce high quality solutions to complex engineering problems.
Our graduates get involved with the whole development lifecycle from day 1, from design through development, test, release, and where possible customer engagement. You will learn the tools, techniques and approaches used by engineering professionals and apply them in a controlled environment to ensure projects are delivered on time, to quality and to budget.
There are a variety of roles within the Product Engineering field, and while you will specialise in one, you will be encouraged to develop skills and understanding across the range. These include:
- Software Engineer (Application): Commonly in C/C++ or Java on Linux, developing application code for a product’s primary function, management capabilities, and support functions
- Software Engineer (Embedded): Commonly in C/C++, developing code that runs in constrained environments and which requires an understanding of the hardware involved
- Firmware Engineer (FPGA): Predominately in VHDL, developing designs to perform high performance processing using Intel or Xilinx FPGAs
- Hardware Engineer (Electronics/Mechanics): Designing and producing custom hardware (PCBs) to meet specific product and/or customer requirements.
- Many of our products have specific environmental challenges, whether that is temperature/dust/humidity, limited space, power density, or security. To meet these needs, we develop custom enclosures incorporating power, cooling, and security solutions
- DevOps Engineer: Covering a wide range of activity including traditional DevOps, TechOps, and DevSecOps. These engineers form a core element of our systems teams ensuring robust, secure, and efficient execution in development, test, and deployment environments. Activities are wide ranging, but include the development CD/CI toolchains, design of deployment strategies, and the defining orchestration strategies and approaches
- Testing Engineer: Our products are relied on by our customers in order to achieve their mission objectives. As such testing forms a core part of our development approach. This ranges from designing test approaches, developing test frameworks (from Python through to custom distributed C++), to producing automated test mechanisms as part of Continuous Integration (CI) pipelines.
As part of our graduate programme, we will support you in developing the right skills for both your role and career, but are looking for people who show:
- An interest and aptitude in solving problems
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- A desire to learn
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work as part of a team
Desired Technical Ability
Given the range of roles, we are looking for people from a wide range of backgrounds, however experience in any of the following would be advantageous:
- Networking protocols
- Qt, React, Redux, JEE
- Linux, Docker, VMWare
- Git, BitBucket, Jira, Jama
- Databases – SQL, ODBC, JDBC
- VHDL, Modelsim, OrCAD, Solidworks
- Jenkins, Bamboo
- AWS, Azure
- You will need to have obtained (in the last 3 years) or be studying towards a 2:2 or above, in a STEM degree
- Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government Developed Vetting (DV) clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/united-kingdom-security-vetting-applicant
We expect great things of our graduates. In return, you can expect a £30,000 starting salary with regular, performance based uplifts and a comprehensive benefits and pension package, including 25 days’ annual holiday with flexible leave arrangements and product and service discounts.
In the fields to follow, please highlight which of the described professions are best aligned to your current skillset and aspirations. If eligible, you will then be invited to complete a digital assessment for the relevant role.
The final stage of the process will then be an interview with one of our Engineers.
Should you wish to discuss the process or any accommodations, please contact your recruitment contact.
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.