At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Systems Engineering function supports internally-funded (IRAD) projects and customer-funded (CRAD) programmes through providing engineering resource skilled and experienced in the delivery of the full system life-cycle.
At present the function is engaged with multiple high-profile surface/sub-surface Royal Navy vessels along with supporting the next generation of NGSM radar systems. We are looking for a Systems Engineer to work primarily on our naval surface ship programmes; This would include working on the Type 45 Destroyer and Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier Programmes
- Conduct/lead all systems engineering activities including requirements management, verification testing and design assurance.
- Produce/review project technical documentation to project schedule.
- Prepare for and successfully deliver key design reviews (PDR/CDR) in accordance with the programme schedule.
- Technical management of suppliers, ensuring requirements and design baselines are maintained.
- Reviewing and challenging technical documentation received from Customer and suppliers.
- Support/Lead reviews with the Customer and key suppliers.
- Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering functions involved in the delivery of the programme (Hardware, Mechanical, Software, ILS, IA, Safety etc.).
- Ensure all responsibilities are delivered in accordance with Company Standards of Conduct and contractual processes.
- Have awareness of and comply with Company Standards of Conduct and all relevant statutory requirements.
- Carry out any other reasonable management request.
- Degree-qualified in a relevant engineering / technical subject (e.g. electrical engineering or similar)
- Experience in a systems engineering role Experience of systems requirements management, definition, design, integration, acceptance and analysis Knowledge of System Engineering models and techniques.
- Able to work with people effectively at all levels, using well-developed influencing and interpersonal skills
- Can write and speak clearly and can adapt their language as appropriate to the situation
- Able to use logical and creative thinking to solve problems and make decisions
- Able to deal with internal and external customers in a professional way, both in person, over the phone and by email Is a team player, and can create, develop and maintain productive working relationships
- Strong IT skills, specifically with MS Office products.
- Knowledge of requirements management tools (e.g. DOORS or similar)
- Knowledge of marine electronic equipment and/or the marine environment
- Knowledge of marine navigation specific standards (e.g. IEC 60945, 61162, 61174)
- Familiar with military environmental standards (e.g. DEF STAN 00-35, 59-411)
- Knowledge and experience of safety critical systems (SIL 2 / 3)
- Experience of conducting EMC/Vibration/Shock qualification testing with external test houses
- INCOSE Associate/Chartered Systems Engineering Professional
- All candidates must be eligible to hold and maintain UK Government Security Clearance.
- Looking for flexibility? Speak to us at application stage about what may be possible.
Northrop Grumman is committed to equality and diversity in our workplace. Northrop Grumman provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual's protected status, including race/ethnic origin, color, nationality, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, gender identity/expression, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, religion or belief, creed, age, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status or characteristic.