At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence we develop world-class radio and data systems. We are launching a major new space programme, marrying our existing capabilities with new space technology.
We need skilled, enthusiastic and motivated people at all experience levels from graduate to CTO to deliver these exciting new capabilities. There are opportunities in all relevant engineering and non-engineering disciplines, both for those with space industry experience and those without.
Many roles come with opportunities for remote / hybrid working, working in our offices in Guildford and Great Baddow only when required.
We will provide you with personal development, CPD including support towards professional recognition, industry-leading benefits, and the opportunity to apply cutting-edge technology to interesting problems with the support of our highly-skilled engineering community.
Come and join us for this exciting opportunity to shape and deliver world-class space technologies.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
The Product Assurance (PA) Engineer will be responsible for reducing technical risk on our space programme by ensuring that materials, parts, assemblies, software and processes are fit for purpose over the lifetime of the mission.
They will act as an independent technical reviewer, providing support to all engineering activities - verifying compliance to the processes outlined in the engineering management plan.
- Define (in conjunction with the Engineering Manager) product assurance and quality requirements for the programme.
- Translate the requirements into a specific, pragmatic approach for the programme.
- Monitor the implementation of this approach during the design, manufacturing, integration, test and trials phases of the programme.
- Audit the quality management approach of key suppliers.
- Support the component & material procurement / selection process against the space environment requirements.
- Support the identification of the qualification requirements and the qualification plan authoring for the hardware design.
- Chair non-conformance investigations.
- Ensure that technical analyses are reviewed for engineering quality.
- Provide support to test campaigns.
- Report on activities to the project manager and engineering manager – in support of monitoring engineering performance metrics.
- Monitor ESA alerts for relevant issues.
- Ensure that key engineering reviews (e.g. manufacturing readiness reviews, test review boards) are effective.
- Perform key inspections of components, assemblies and facilities.
- Delegate to/mentor engineers in PA/QA tasks where required. Provide training to staff inexperienced in working within the Space domain.
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Product assurance experience to ECSS and/or NASA standards.
- Experience in production and test of flight electronics payloads and software.
- Good communication skills at all levels.
- Demonstrated experience in tailoring institutional Space standards for commercial programmes.
- Quality inspection certification (ESA/other).
- Experience in safety management.
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.