The Defence and Space Business Unit in BAE Systems Digital Intelligence delivers mission focused solutions in cyber & electronic warfare, digital transformation and special communications to clients across Land, Sea, Air, Space and Cyber.
We are looking for a software engineer with front end experience to work closely with one of our key clients in developing software applications, to help them visualise and manage real time mission data. The role will be joining an existing team of our engineers that have been working with this client for two years so the successful candidate will have support from the team, in learning about the new domain and working day-to-day, both in person and virtually over secure networks. The team works in an Agile way as is common with software teams these days.
This role will be primarily based on client side, so candidates will need to be willing to regularly travel to client locations in Herefordshire or Hampshire but otherwise this will be a Hybrid role working from home.
- Produces or validates the schedule and effort estimate for each task they perform
- Demonstrates an understanding of the importance of schedule and will endeavour to estimate accurately and deliver according to those estimates
- Demonstrates skill and adeptness in team collaboration, technical discussion and negotiation.
- Continually increase personal understanding of the languages, frameworks, technical concepts, methods and measurements that underpin the Engineering disciplines and practices of BAE Systems.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand, challenge, contribute or construct software specification and is capable of building software in line with the specifications
- Exploits appropriate software development methods, languages, libraries and techniques and applies these to software engineering tasks to realise the most effective outcome
- Ensures that all work is consistent with defined standards where standards exist and to withstand professional scrutiny in any case
- Ensures that high quality and delivery standards are met and consistently delivers quality code on time and within estimate.
- Demonstrates the ability to reflect on and improve personal performance
- Works as a member of a development team, collaborates with other team members and participates in technical discussions and conversations with customers.
- Designs, codes, tests, corrects, and documents moderately complex programs and program modifications from supplied specifications, using agreed standards and tools
- Conducts reviews of supplied specifications, with others as appropriate
- Overcomes development obstacles to deliver quality code on time
- Demonstrates high quality standards in the delivery of thorough unit testing of code
- Collaborates and negotiates with team members to produce a seamless integration of code into the solution
Front End Development:
- Experience working with customers to understand requirements and create wireframes for potential user interfaces
- Comfortable creating custom image assets (icons, logos etc)
- Nice to have experience with Cypress and or Espresso testing frameworks
This role will require you to have or be willing to go through Security Clearance.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.