Launch your Career into Space with BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence we develop world-class radio and data systems. We are launching a major new space programme, marrying our existing capabilities with new space technology.
We need skilled, enthusiastic and motivated people at all experience levels from graduate to CTO to deliver these exciting new capabilities. There are opportunities in all relevant engineering and non-engineering disciplines, both for those with space industry experience and those without.
Many roles come with opportunities for remote / hybrid working, working in our offices in Guildford and Great Baddow only when required.
We will provide you with personal development, CPD including support towards professional recognition, industry-leading benefits, and the opportunity to apply cutting-edge technology to interesting problems with the support of our highly-skilled engineering community.
Come and join us for this exciting opportunity to shape and deliver world-class space technologies.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
Depending on your project assignment and level of experience, you may work on some or all of the following (Space experience is desirable but not essential as long as you are keen to learn):
- Design and develop state-of-the-art FPGA designs
- Design and test Digital Signal Processing (DSP) algorithms using MATLAB or similar
- Design and test high performance FPGA external interface components (eg memory interfaces, high speed data busses etc)
- Managing technical tasks/projects and people
- Be involved in product delivery, sometimes to challenging deadlines.
- Customer-facing technical consultancy
- Have a strong interest in expanding technical knowledge both in areas of core expertise and more generally.
- Work towards gaining the experience required to take technical lead roles.
- Mentoring and coaching junior colleagues
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Engineering, Physics or Mathematics. A Levels typically AA in Maths and Physics. PhD applicants also encouraged.
- Ability to produce high-quality FPGA designs
- Understanding of FPGA and SoC architectures
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Proven problem-solving / fault-finding skills
- Excellent team working abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- 1+ year experience of FPGA development (eg VHDL).
- A keen interest in the space sector and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Broad interest in wireless technology, embedded systems and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Understanding of radio communications
- Experience of developing for space applications
- Understanding of digital signal processing
- Development on Linux based systems
- Range of software development experience including MATLAB, C++, Python
- Understanding of digital and/or analogue hardware design with some hands-on laboratory experience of debug/set-to-work.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.