Innovate UK KTN 2025 Strategy
We connect ideas, people and communities to drive innovation that changes lives.
Innovation is complex. The journey from idea to market is not straightforward and requires a diverse range of know-how, investment, market knowledge and research. Innovate UK KTN exists to connect innovators with new partners and new opportunities beyond their existing thinking - accelerating ambitious ideas into real-world solutions.
The future holds both challenges and opportunities. We are passionate about working with innovative businesses to overcome these challenges and shape the opportunities and solutions that follow.
Our vision is to create a network of innovators so powerful its ideas will change the world.
While business is at the heart of our work, our diverse connections span government, funders, research and the third sector. This unrivalled overview and connectivity enable us to be a trusted guide through a complex global landscape of research, development and innovation. Over the next five years, we will build collaborations at a local, national and global level.
About the team
The Industrial Technologies and Manufacturing (ITM) team delivers Innovate UK KTN strategy in a cross-cutting manner with electronics, sensors, photonics, and manufacturing technologies at the core. Electronics covers a wide range of technologies from energy efficient computing to power electronics, machines, and drives. Sensors embraces all sensing technologies such as environmental monitoring for climate change science to sensors used to enable connected and autonomous vehicle operation. Photonics supports communities working the areas of laser technologies, photonic integrated circuits, and computing. Manufacturing supports all the activities surrounding productivity and digitalisation of the UK manufacturing sector under the Innovate UK Made Smarter programme, circular economies and Net Zero.
Purpose of the role
To deliver knowledge transfer and other activities aimed at stimulating innovation in manufacturing sectors, technologies, or cross-cutting themes with potential to growth the UK economy.
This role will play a key part in identifying innovations and connecting the opportunities to make an impact and translate UK Potential into commercial reality.
On a day-to-day basis, you will engage with high-growth businesses to understand their innovation needs and direct them towards public and private finance, potential commercial and academic partners, and other opportunities to support their growth.
This includes leading the design and delivery of first-class events, the creation and publication of thought leadership media content, overseeing the marketing and communications strategy and outputs and monitoring costs for the advanced manufacturing projects.
You will contribute to Innovate UK KTN’s success, working with colleagues on cross-sector collaboration projects, meeting Innovate UK KTN KPIs, supporting the development of bids and proposals and engaging with Innovate UK, UKRI and other relevant government departments, research councils, and leadership bodies around the UK and globally.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- To lead and be a team member who supports innovation and business growth in the manufacturing sector and particularly supporting the ongoing delivery of Innovate UK KTN’s Work Plan and strategic objectives.
- Build a strong and engaged community of UK innovators/innovation contributors within the defined sector and/or technology, with a particular focus on manufacturing sectors
- Directly engage with businesses providing support through access to investment and making new connections and collaborations
- To engage businesses with the UK research and innovation assets (including Catapults and Research Centres, and engage with business communities through our networks and sector development growth projects.
- Provide support for the various tools developed by Innovate UK KTN and others for accelerating the digitalisation and Made Smarter journey for UK manufacturers
- Develop, maintain and monitor relationships with Innovate UK KTN members and key stakeholders including regular company visits
- Identify and Champion defined areas of importance to the UK economy such as specific themes, or areas of emerging potential
- Deliver key business metrics, including additional client income, agreed with line manager, and to track progress, capturing outcomes and success stories
- Lead/manage a series of key programmes and/or events of relevance to a key UK industry sector or strategic technology
- Act as a network facilitator within and across communities
- Engage across the Innovate UK KTN to stimulate cross-sector collaboration and support colleagues
- Undertake reporting obligations in line with Innovate UK KTN goals for impact measurement
- Leads on workshops/programme delivery, with high levels of company seniority or complexity
- Takes responsibility for complex and new areas, scoping out the challenge and defining knowledge transfer activities to meet a defined outcome.
- Identify new opportunities that can support the specific project and subsequent projects.
- Promote diversity and inclusion both within Innovate UK KTN and across engaged sectors
- In depth practical experience of Advanced Manufacturing techniques that will include at least two of the following:
- Industrial Engineering
- Digitalisation of the Manufacturing Sector
- Factory Automation
- Sustainable Manufacturing and Circular Economy
- Experience in business environments that span a range of functions including R&D, innovation and business development and growth
- Technical qualification or equivalent experience in engineering or manufacturing sciences
- Experience in high level stakeholder engagement with one or more of central, local government, funding agencies and devolved administrations
- Leadership and key influencer experience in the manufacturing sector.
- Recognised as active and credible within the innovation and sector landscape.
- Demonstrable financial expertise to provide effective development and management of project budgets.
- Experience in managing/leading complex multidisciplinary projects/programmes.
- Experience of government policies and research and innovation strategies