At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
In the IT department, included in the Research and Computing Sector, managing a budget of 54 MCHF, under the overall supervision of the Resource Management Group Leader, you will lead the team responsible for budget management and analysis, financial accounting and reporting, performance planning and monitoring, to support the efficient and effective utilization of resources and strengthen the financial performance of the department. You will be active in transversal activities essential to the smooth running of the IT department with numerous interactions with group leaders and business stakeholders.
- Be in charge of the cost analysis process. You will then develop and establish procedures, tools and processes aimed at driving achievement of optimized value for money;
- Consolidate and analyse financial data taking into account the organization’s goals and financial standing;
- Be the key contact point with CERN’s central administration services for resources planning, accounting, and procurement;
- Apply CERN’s financial rules and use of the ERP systems;
- Analyse the financial performance, identify risks and propose/implement the mitigation/improvement measures;
- Develop financial models, conduct benchmarking and process analysis (Total Cost of Ownership, Cost of Goods served);
- Conduct studies on past, future and comparative performance, and identify the areas of improvement; examine actual results in comparison with forecasts;
- Manage the preparation and review of project budget plans; analyse the expenditures and risks, and provide advice to the Resource Management Lead and the Department management on the optimized use of resources; Prepare annual financial reports;
- Support the formulation of target Key Performance Indicators and Key Risk Indicators metrics and lead the systematic performance reviews against the set targets:
- Supervise, motivate and coach the finance team to enable continued development and high performance;
- Support the follow-up of audits related to the IT department’s activities;
- Perform other relevant duties, as required.
Indicators of success
- Informed decision-making enabled, by providing solid financial analysis, including the potential risks;
- Financial models developed and maintained, and financial risks analysed;
- Improved performance planning and monitoring processes of the IT department in the framework of the workplan and annual performance plan.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Finance, Procurement, Accounting or a related field.
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license or similar is desired.
- Demonstrated experience in the financial operations (planning, monitoring, reporting and analysis) of a complex organisation, advising top management on finance and accounting-related matters.
- Accounting and/or financial reporting experience in an international environment.
- Experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Ability to distil and present clearly, in non-technical terms, the financial aspects of sometimes very complex and multi-faceted initiatives.
- Proven experience developing and implementing new processes or practices in a large organisation.
- Familiarity with IT products, services and projects would be an asset.
- Experience with financial systems/finance modules of an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system would be an asset.
- Experience in negotiating with external suppliers and service contract providers would be desirable.
- Financial reporting and analysis.
- Cost control.
- Personnel and material resources planning.
- Organisation, planning and control.
- Project management.
- Excel skills coupled with good presentation, report writing and analytical skills.
- Setting direction: setting clear, challenging and attainable objectives; defining and communicating performance indicators;
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind. Taking appropriate corrective actions and adapting work/project plans if necessary;
- Working in the interest of the Organization: demonstrating motivation for own work, being enthusiastic, involved and energetic in pursuing tasks;
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak English language in professional contexts with the willingness to learn French; as well as the ability to draw-up reports and to make oral presentations in English.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.05.2022 at noon CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-DI-2022-39-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Financial Professional