As an Electrical Design Engineer for Rig Technologies this is an opportunity to use and grow your professional experience in automated control systems and hazardous area equipment, contributing to the aftermarket design solutions on Oil & Gas drilling equipment.
Your competence in electrical design, software programming, and hazardous area equipment selection/implementation will support your interface with our multi-discipline department (mechanical design, draughting and project management).
With guidance of the Lead Electrical Design Engineer and Engineering Manager your duties will include taking responsibility for the technical integrity of assigned Engineering projects and the quality and effectiveness of electrical design engineering support. This will include taking ownership of design solutions across multiple projects and supporting the Field Engineering team.
You will undertake Engineering design activities including: selection of control and instrumentation hardware, checking and approving drawings, also preparing and checking design calculations. In this role you will apply sound engineering principles to develop creative and robust solutions to a variety of challenges. You will provide supervisory guidance to draughting personnel and other project personnel.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Design solutions in accordance with applicable legislative and drilling equipment standards
- Produce and review electrical drawings, Assemblies, Schematics & Indexes
- Produce and review technical documentation, Reports, Procedures & Manuals
- Produce and review controls system software, PLC code, HMI screens, VFD parameters
- Produce and review electrical calculations, I.S. verification, Volt drop, Cable sizing
- Ensure that internal checking and approvals procedures are adhered to
- Ensure that document numbering and revision control procedure is conformed to
- Process project design & control documentation according to QA processes and on a timely basis,
- Quote, CPA, Documentation register, Design Review, After Action Review
- A degree in electrical engineering discipline, or equivalent (Essential)
- Experience in design of control systems (Essential)
- Experience in Software Programming (Essential)
- Experience with selection and application of equipment used hazardous areas (Desirable)
- Experience with oil field equipment, ideally NOV drilling products (Desirable)
SKILLS, TRAINING, OR SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE:
- Good understating of and the ability to design electrical assemblies, schematics & technical documentation associated with control systems. This specifically relates to control systems of automated equipment and familiarity with control over hydraulic/pneumatic systems and variable speed drives. (Essential)
- Understanding of engineering documents and drawings (e.g. be able to read P&IDs, ISO drawings, calculation reports etc. and be able to extract useful information for design)
- Skilled at software programming of industrial control systems (Essential)
- Have knowledge and understanding of ISO quality system (Essential)
- Have an understanding of CE marking and harmonized directives (Desirable)
- Have an understanding of Hazardous area equipment requirements of ATEX, IEC-EX, UL
- Have an understanding of the oil industry culture and particularly its focus on safety (Desirable)
- Have and understanding of industry standards API, DNV, ABS, NORSOK (Desirable)