At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets, to shape the future of CERN largest accelerator. CERN, take part!
You will join the Superconducting Magnet Technology (SMT) Section, part of the Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC) Group within the Technology (TE) Department. The Section has the mandate to develop innovative superconducting electromagnets (so-called magnets) for ongoing LHC upgrades and future accelerators along with the development of associated technology and engineering processes. SMT is also responsible for the superconducting magnet insulation development and provides CERN-wide support for polymer technologies and rapid prototyping.
As a Mechanical Technician in the SMT Section, you will:
- Perform assembly/disassembly work on superconducting magnets and associated tooling,
- Contribute to the development of tooling and mock-ups related to superconducting magnets,
- Carry out acceptance tests on parts such as standard mechanical inspections, interpreting and communicating results,
- Participate to the logistical aspects of the laboratory in accordance with the quality assurance plan (procurements, quality control, storage…) and safety rules,
- Contribute to the maintenance of mechanical infrastructure and equipment in the SMT section,
- Contribute to the preparation of the related documentation.
Technical certificate or general secondary education or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering or a related field.
- Proven experience in mechanical equipment construction and maintenance,
- Experience in reading technical drawings, including ISO-GPS dimensioning,
- Experience in mechanical quality control,
- Experience with superconducting magnets construction would be a plus,
- Initial experience in electrical equipment maintenance would be a plus.
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation
- Knowledge and application of joining techniques: brazing and soldering
- Construction, test and installation of superconducting magnets and systems
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues. Cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises. Taking responsibility for own actions and decisions. Presenting information accurately and objectively.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Building relationships: showing courtesy and consideration in dealings with others. Showing a sincere interest in the concerns and perspectives of others. Showing appreciation for the ideas and contributions of others and encourages others to express their views, even if controversial.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations is important.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 07.06.2022 at 12:00 (mid-day) CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-MSC-SMT-2022-41-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician