WHAT TO EXPECT
We are looking for a Weights Engineer to support the Strategic, Delivery and Launch phases throughout the PCDS process with respect to whole vehicle weight management including target setting, analysis and validation.
Vehicle weight directly affects CO₂ and Fuel Economy and has a significant impact on delivering driven attributes such as performance, ride, and handling. You will be a part of Vehicle Engineering and are responsible for all Jaguar Land Rover vehicles' mass properties.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* Project management of Vehicle Weight targets and deliverables, including future target setting and balancing
* Calculation of mass properties from geometry and First principles
* Responsible for Coordination of generation and maintenance of Vehicle Mass Properties models
* Reconciliation of vehicle weight between different derivatives and trim levels
* Assist the Weight Attribute Leaders by population of loading charts and related documents
* You will be required to conduct verification of the weight for prototype and production vehicles by weighing them
* You will be responsible for the mass data for the vehicle type approval for Masses & Dimensions.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
As a Weights Engineer, you will be responsible to ensure correct system/commodity/architecture strategy is employed through the engineering phase. At Jaguar Land Rover, we promote Optimisation, Integration, Material, Architecture and Technology choices to deliver the best engineering solutions for weight. We prepare Loading Charts and mass properties parametric models throughout the engineering process to support CAE during the virtual phase and to enable correlation of physical prototypes during validation.
This role is an opportunity for a capable Engineer to learn about Attribute Management through the subject of Mass Properties. The role is end to end, running from Target Setting in the Concept phase right through to validation at Verification Build and production capability.
This wide scope means there is opportunity to interact with many areas of the business. It will give you exposure to the wider engineering team in that it covers the whole vehicle. In terms of career development then this role will tick most of the boxes as learning about the technical side of this subject along with building contacts and relationships will give a good basis to go forwards.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Engineering, Maths or Physics degree qualified
* Able to demonstrate an understanding of Weight and Mass Properties and its interaction with other vehicle Attributes
* Have the ability to prioritise own time and workload
* Aptitude for engineering, testing and evaluation Able to work precisely and to specified procedures
* Self-motivated, uses initiative and problem solver - focussed on delivering results
* Able to deliver quality and consistency in a complex, highly demanding environment
* Resilient and enthusiastic, an individual able to deliver results under pressure, whilst responding constructively to challenging new ideas and inputs
* Vehicle engineering knowledge and cross functional experience
* Knowledge of technologies associated with the automotive sector, especially relating to weight reduction
* Microsoft package elements Project, Power Point and Excel