The Cross-Domain product development and solutions team is a close-knit engineering team within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence operating in a dynamic market. The team is responsible for the development of world-leading network security and communication appliances that operate at multi-gigabit speeds, combining software and custom hardware. Cross-Domain customers include a variety of government departments, telecommunications and critical national infrastructure companies.
What you will be doing for us:
The Software Engineer role will involve innovation and development of new cutting edge products, and systems, mentoring and coaching other engineers (depending on grade) and supporting technical bid and project activities. Our systems support Governments and Customers around the world in helping them defend against cyber threats and so they must be able to rely on the quality of our products. The role interfaces both with our wider development teams, and clients as required. Options available for remote working.
What background are we looking for:
Essential skills and knowledge:
- Good grasp of networking fundamentals.
- Ability and desire to learn new programming languages and technologies quickly.
- Proven problem-solving and fault-finding skills
- Linux development experience
- Experience of scripting languages
Essential competencies and experience:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Works well in an agile team environment
Desirable competencies and experience:
- Scripting languages e.g. Python, Bash
- Experience of modern libraries including Apache libraries (NiFi, etc), Google libraries (Protobuf, etc)C++, Boost
- Working in an Agile team
- Docker, Podman
- Email (Postfix)
- Messaging Queues (RabbitMQ, etc)
- Working in cloud environments (Azure, AWS)
- Virtual solutions (VMWare etc)
- High availability solutions (Pacemaker, etc)
- Knowledge of version control systems (Bit bucket, etc)
- Experience with automated build and continuous integration suites (Jenkins)
- Understanding of low-level computing concepts
- Defect Tracking software (JIRA preferred)
- Experience planning, estimating and designing system components
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.