At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology to provide innovative research tools to the physics and engineering worldwide community. Within the EN Department, the Mechanical and Materials Engineering Group (MME) provides to the CERN community specific engineering solutions combining mechanical design, fabrication, and material sciences.
As a mechanical engineer within EN-MME, you will join CERN largest Design Office, studying and engineering new products and mechanical systems for high-energy physics projects, relying on computer-aided design (CAD) and advanced simulation tools, in compliance with relevant standards and specifications.
Are you passionate by mechanics, advanced engineering and innovative designs at the forefront of technology? Are you skilled in numerical simulations and computer-aided design? This is an opportunity for you: you will be part of a multidisciplinary team designing, simulating and testing a large variety of components used at CERN, in the framework of a wide range of research and development projects. CERN, take part!
As a Mechanical Engineer in MME Design Office, you will be in charge of the engineering, design and follow-up of the construction and qualification of equipment for accelerators and detectors. Superconducting technology, radiofrequency systems, beam instrumentation, beam intercepting devices, ultra-high vacuum technology, non-conventional materials, thermo-mechanical computations, design-to-manufacturing, safety, reliability, product lifecycle management are just a few of the key words related to this position.
- Be in charge of the mechanical design and integration of components for accelerators and detectors, including digital models as well as specification and manufacturing drawings;
- Perform state-of-the-art computations and simulations to dimension, analyse, optimize and validate mechanical systems and components;
- Participate in multi-technology projects, in close interaction with other engineering teams and services, following up the prototyping and production at CERN workshops and taking part to product measurements, tests, and diagnostics;
- Write technical specifications, manage whole tendering processes up to contract’s adjudication;
- Prepare presentations, technical reports, engineering specifications and calculation notes;
- After a period of familiarization and confirmation, technically supervise a team of designers, draftsmen and technicians.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in mechanical engineering and design according to industrial standards, manufacturing methods and assembly techniques within a design office in industry or research centres, knowledge of mechanical engineering and design for accelerator and detector equipment would be an asset;
- Demonstrated experience with finite element computations and computer-aided design;
- Experience in taking the lead of mechanical projects from conceptual design to testing, prototyping and construction phases;
- Experience in writing technical reports and specifications;
- Some initial experience in working with international collaborations and external partners (industries and institutes) would be an advantage.
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures: (Knowledge of design and analysis of complex mechanical structures and systems);
- In-depth knowledge of strength of materials and engineering calculations, including thermal/structural analyses and material selection. Good knowledge and application of analytical methods;
- Knowledge of metallic and non-metallic materials;
- Knowledge of technical drawings in compliance with relevant standards for dimensioning and tolerancing;
- Knowledge of scientific and engineering software packages, preferably Ansys computation package, and of CAD tools, preferably CATIA;
- Knowledge of safety standards and regulations concerning pressure vessels, lifting equipment and machinery would be an advantage.
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen Remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems;
- Building Relationships: showing courtesy and consideration in dealings with others. Understanding how individual differences bring added value to the Organization; promoting complementarities Accepting others in a non-judgemental way and taking their point of view into account;
- Working in Teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals;
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements;
- Demonstrating Flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements Being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up specifications and/or reports, and/or to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak French or an undertaking to acquire it.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday CET on Monday 30.05.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-MME-EDS-2022-44-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer