What to expect
Materials Engineering and Product Sustainability are a multi-discipline department providing a specialist technical leadership and consultancy service to the whole business. Teams within the department comprise Materials Engineering, Product Sustainability, CAE Core Structural Mechanics, Fastener Engineering, Perceived Quality-Materials and Materials Characterisation.
Working within the Core Materials Engineering Metals Team with responsibility for metallic materials with an emphasis on laboratory metallurgical analysis of sheet steel, aluminium, cast extruded and forged materials
The engineer will support all aspects of the materials engineering metallurgy section, including investigation of quality technical issues materials characterisation, validation and analysis.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* Support all aspects relating to material characterisation, validation & approval for new programmes
* Contribute to laboratory failure investigation projects and test requests
* Provide a materials technical consultancy service for all commodity teams
* Undertake any other work as directed by their line manager in connection with their job as may be requested
What you'll need
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Degree qualified or equivalent experience preferred
* Experience in laboratory failure investigation tools, techniques and practices
* Technical knowledge/experience of metallic materials and technologies
* Experience of a materials related technical role within a recognised industry equivalent to automotive
* Experience in working in cross functional teams in a materials engineering capacity
* An ability to analyse problems / generate solutions and achieve results, making effective use of all resources available within the company and supplier base.
* Excellent organisational, communication and project management skills.
* A motivated self-starter capable of taking decisions with minimal need for guidance and initiating/leading process improvement projects.
* Project and people management skills.
Working knowledge of 6-Sigma tools and techniques (particularly process development and statistical methods)Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with strong influencing and engagement skills