An exciting opportunity has arisen in the Future Combat Air System (FCAS + TEMPEST) programme to define, develop, co-ordinate and evaluate the Future Combat System concept options for MBDA. This role reports to the Chief Systems Engineer, as an acting deputy running a team of engineers and contracts to deliver MBDA's strategic objectives across the Sector.
The purpose of the role is to execute the FCAS (&TEMPEST) vision through the Systems team, who define concept options, assess Weapon Effects Concepts, define future Systems architectures and build Synthetic test tools.
The successful candidate will represent MBDA both in the FCAS, TEMPEST Enterprise, with our UK partners, but will also have opportunities to work internationally scoping our future work with a number of nations.
The role is an excellent opportunity to work closely with the Chief Systems Engineer, Chief Engineer, Platform Integration Lead and Head of technology to help steer the programmes direction. . The role will help define future strategies, as well as delivering current ambitions.
The role will work closely with the FCAS Architecture lead, Concepting lead, Platform Integration lead, Operational Analysis and requirements teams. The role interacts across BAES, Leonardo and Rolls Royce in the FCAS enterprise, and the successful candidate will represent MBDA within a number of Agile SCRUMS. Within MBDA the successful candidate will need to interact across a number of functions to help drive the delivery of the team and to get the most out of our expertise.
The role requires excellent communication and leadership skills supported by technical delivery and management experience. An understanding of MBDA strategy, and ability to question why, combined with a Weapon System background, or similar would help the candidate.
The successful candidate will be placed at the forefront of defining, co-ordinating and delivering technical activities where they will be required to work closely with a number of enthusiastic and multi-disciplined internal and international teams.
Typical activities include:
What are we looking for?
- Line manage a team of engineers
- Co-ordinate a set of teams to deliver coherence
- Influence external partners to enable MBDA strategic goals
- Review and contribute to a set of concept option and concept assessment methodologies
- Characterise complex technologies and products
- Identify key themes across concept options
- Review Missions and scenarios to establish key capability needs
- Draw out key requirements from a wide set of data
- Interact across the FCAS programme and wider business
- Feeding MBDA's strategy into the solutions defined and communicating this to senior management
- Manage the funding and resource for the team
We are looking for a strong leader with experience developing systems architectures. The candidate will need to be a good influencer, have sound technical foundations and a passion for developing people.
At least some of the following attributes would be useful in the role:
- Knowledge of the future operating environment
- Experience leading teams is essential
- Good understanding of partner influencing
- The ability and cultural awareness to work with multiple different functions supporting technology and concepting, across MBDA and wider industry
- The confidence to embrace the uncertain nature of early concept development to progress towards defining solutions and system concepts
- The ability and desire to employ new techniques and utilise new ideas and technologies
- Have experience in weapon systems, platforms and sub-system design and architecture
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a broad range of internal and external partners
- Have experience at the initial phases of a programme (or willingness to learn)
- Have experience of Agile ways of working
- Air domain knowledge and experience
You will have a proven track record of working autonomously and with senior support.What's in it for you?
- Being part of the Future Combat Air System (FCAS & TEMPEST) team is an exciting opportunity, it is a "once in a career" technology,
- This is a high profile programme in both MBDA and the UK
- Be part of MBDA's future air capability and be responsible for securing significant capably for the UK customer
- This is a new programme of work, so there is significant opportunity to shape it as it grows
- The role will develop a broad skill base, across technology and systems engineering
- There will be opportunities to travel internationally
- The outcomes you deliver will directly influence MBDA's future through Vision 2040
Join a great team!
- *Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
- This is a growing team shaping the way MBDA defines and executes the Effects Management Segment
- There is huge breadth of experience to directly draw upon from across the business
- There will be significant exposure to a wide set of Future Systems activities, Weapon Systems Design experience and from a group perspective that also shapes the business
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).Please Note:
MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role!