MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver for a more secure tomorrow
The opportunity has arisen to join in the success of the Sea Ceptor ‘New Business' team as a Weapon System Engineer for our Export bidding campaigns. You will be managing pre-contract technical studies and engineering proposals in delivery of costed submissions to our Export Customers.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with an engineering or systems integration background wanting to build on their experience by being the Engineering focal point in a diverse customer focussed team who continue to win export business for MBDA.The key responsibilities will include:
What are we looking for?
- Primary Engineering and technical interface for Export bids to the project and subsystem teams. Own the definition of the technical scope, leading Engineering teams to collaboratively generate rationalised, competitive and accurate costed bids with any required supporting documentation. This will support the generation of Sea Ceptor costed proposals and technical solutions and you will support the handover process to the delivery teams as export contracts are won.
- Manage and deliver any engineering activities or studies required during the challenging, dynamic pre-contract phase of the programme. Shall provide clear guidance and support for the proposal being developed, ensure partners are kept informed and deliver on time, cost and quality.
- Work closely with the Customer Sales, Commercial and Engineering teams to ensure customer requirements are understood and actioned by the relevant parties. Often requires identifying the level of compliance provided by existing systems/solutions and documentation and direct customer engagement to discuss requirements and potential engineering solutions.
- Maintenance of Engineering aspects of Sea Ceptor ‘New Business', such as: reviewing and updating Generic documentation and Cost Base material, supporting definition of Industrial Offset proposals, identifying future Export Engineering opportunities and technical reporting for ‘New Business' and Engineering partners.
What's in it for you?
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships at all levels of the business
- Ability to understand, scope and explain technical challenges and impacts derived from Customer needs and work with a broad range of engineering areas to ensure timely delivery of technical solutions, costed bids and supporting engineering activities.
- Complementary experience and knowledge from the defence (or similar complex engineering) industry, broad engineering and/or export bidding activities.
- Strong Technical Project Management and facilitation skills in order to manage interdependencies and differing priorities and needs between multi-functional teams, resolving and diffusing arising conflicts and providing direction for inter-related issues.
- Passionate about Export and winning new business, willing to work under pressure to meet demanding bid timescales and to travel if required.
- Developing and winning New Business is fundamental to MBDA's DNA and future success. The company's Sales & Business Development (SBD) team identify Export opportunities for Sea Ceptor, which may result in a request for information or quotation from interested potential Customers. The project's ‘New Business' team are then responsible for providing the relevant information and/or delivering an approved, costed technical proposal back to the Business to offer potential Customers.
- This role is primarily focussed on generating competitive technical bids, including development of the Weapon System Engineering and ship integration solutions and key supporting documentation. You will gain experience in generating the most effective solution for each proposed customer, collaborating closely with each of the Engineering Leads to create the fully costed proposal.
- One of the most demanding aspects of the role is challenging and testing your peers and seniors with regards to the assumptions and costs proposed, ensuring they are robust, coherent and justifiable. As part of the bid team, you will explain and justify the proposal and cost bases at varying levels of company technical, programmatic and financial review to obtain timely approval for release. In doing so, you take responsibility for the engineering solution and have the opportunity for exposure to senior company board members in the process.
- Along with Sea Ceptor's success in the Export market, new product development opportunities are becoming more frequent in order to meet increasing Customer needs, with ‘New Business' engineering studies and assessments a more regular occurrence. You will manage the engineering activities on behalf of the ‘New Business' team to ensure projects meet the required objectives and are delivered on time, on cost and on quality.
- The role provides a unique opportunity to gain broad experience in winning new business, technical concept derivation and direct customer engagement, particularly for those with an Engineering background who are looking to broaden their experience. Can be a stepping-stone to more senior technical leadership roles within Weapon Systems as bids are won and your architectures and solutions progress through into Development.
What's great about the team?
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), superb learning and development opportunities and more....
- You'll be joining a dynamic team, split across multiple areas, which provides good development opportunities and broad involvement in winning new business
- You'll face frequent new challenges that'll require you to ‘think on your feet' and take a systematic approach in understanding, resolving and providing technical responses to maintain project pace.
- There'll be opportunities for international travel to work across the business and Export Customer community.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK)!Please Note:
MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role!