What to expect
Materials Engineering and Product Sustainability are a multi-discipline department providing a specialist technical leadership and consultancy service to the whole business. Teams within the department comprise Materials Engineering, Product Sustainability, CAE Core Structural Mechanics, Fastener Engineering, Perceived Quality-Materials and Materials Characterisation.
Working within the Core Materials Engineering Metals, Paint, Adhesives & Corrosion Team with responsibility for Forging & Extrusion materials, the engineer will lead activities related to material selection, validation and technical approval of materials for new programmes, carry out laboratory failure investigations and issue technical reports to Engineering and CoC customers.
They will also lead the development and introduction of new sustainable materials, solutions and technologies through cross functional working with Commodity Engineers, Purchase, Manufacturing Engineering, Research and Materials Innovation teams.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* Lead all aspects relating to material and technology selection, validation & approval for new programmes
* Lead technical coordination of materials management for the business.
* Lead technical activities with regard to materials input to CAD, EBERs and RMDV2 requirements.
* Write and publish technical reports, Specifications, Requirements, Test Methods and Design Rules
* Support/Lead Research & Innovation projects from a materials perspective
* Initiate and support key transformational process improvement opportunities
* Coordinate laboratory test projects and test requests
* Provide a materials technical consultancy service for all commodity teams
* Undertake any other work as directed by their line manager in connection with their job as may be requested
What you'll need
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Degree qualified or equivalent experience preferred
* Extensive technical knowledge/experience of metallic forged and extruded materials and technologies
* Technical understanding of testing/analysis, manufacturing processes and CAE/FEA tools and techniques.
* Experience of a materials related technical role within a recognised industry equivalent to automotive
* Experience in working in cross functional teams in a materials engineering capacity
* Experience in laboratory failure investigation tools, techniques and practices
* An ability to analyse problems / generate solutions and achieve results, making effective use of all resources available within the company and supplier base.
* Excellent organisational, communication and project management skills.
* A motivated self-starter capable of taking decisions with minimal need for guidance and initiating/leading process improvement projects.
Project and people management skills.
Working knowledge of 6-Sigma tools and techniques (particularly process development and statistical methods)Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with strong influencing and engagement skills