At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Joining the Technology Department, you will work in the MPE group, responsible for a variety of magnet and beam related protection systems across the CERN accelerator complex. You will develop and build the interlock systems used for magnet protection within the various accelerators at CERN. For more information, see https://te-dep.web.cern.ch/.
As an Industrial Controls Engineer in the Machine Interlocks section, your main task will be to take a leading role in developing, commissioning, operating and maintaining the hardware and software components of the magnet interlock systems throughout the CERN accelerator complex. The initial emphasis will be on the development of a new generation of systems, which will replace the existing hardware and controls software, including a radiation tolerant version. Besides this, the main functions include leading the renovation projects for two existing systems in the CERN injector chain: the Proton Synchrotron (PS) interlock system and the North Experimental Area interlock system.
The role will involve:
- Design and implement interlock systems for magnet protection based on industrial automation tools: Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems and Human-Machine Interfaces (HMI);
- Select and qualify radiation tolerant and EMC immune industrial components;
- Organize and coordinate the installation and commissioning of the interlock systems interacting with other teams (power converters, magnets, control room teams);
- Manage procurement and contract of electronic and mechanical devices for the installation of the systems in the accelerator environment;
- Define and supervise the tests on hardware and software in the laboratory; Report on the findings;
- Analyse the operational performance of the equipment throughout the accelerator chain and define future strategies;
- Write technical specifications and scientific reports.
- Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics, electro-mechanics, automation and related industrial maintenance, process control, control systems or a related field.
- This post requires demonstrated experience in the field of electronics with an emphasis on industrial controls and automation systems.
- Configuration and implementation of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems;
- Installation, operation and maintenance of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems;
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: (LAD, FBD and SCL);
- Design and implementation of safety interlock systems;
- Knowledge of radiation effects on electronics and mitigation techniques.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 13.06.2022 at 12:00 (mid-day) CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-MPE-MI-2022-53-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer