Role: Power Planning & Solutions – Senior Consultant (Power/Electrical Engineer)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we use our engineering, economic and environmental skills to help our customers transform the way they work and operate. This includes supporting energy systems in the UK and all over the world become more efficient and lower carbon, and helping plan future energy generation, transmission, distribution and supply. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative and sustainable solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Consultant to join our team. You would be involved with the leading and delivery of a range of projects in the renewable energy sector.
The Power Planning & Solutions team comprises a group of highly experienced professionals specialising in techno-economic, engineering and management consultancy services for the energy sector, with particular emphasis on the power sector. We cover power generation and transmission planning, electricity tariff and affordability studies, renewable energy integration, regulation, policy, and “smart grid” innovation projects. We are a committed team of like-minded professionals with a growing portfolio of energy technology, policy and strategy projects.
Projects are both in the UK and overseas – the practice has undertaken assignments in nearly 100 countries, including both developed, emerging and developing economies across all 5 continents. We have a broad range of clients, including multi-lateral lending agencies, governments, regulators, electricity companies, natural resources companies and private companies:
- In the UK we are involved in pioneering projects; (i) working closely with distribution companies in the application of smart technology to improve the utilisation of electrical distribution systems, (ii) with public and private organisations to understand their energy data and options to decarbonise their operations through integrating renewable generation.
- Overseas, we work closely with high profile stakeholders (both public and private) to support the sustainable decarbonisation of the power sector at national and regional scale. Our strength lies in our ability to combine strategic, financial/economic and technical advice as an integrated consultancy service to public and private sector clients.
You will be an experienced consultant with a track record in renewables implementation with a particular focus on photovoltaics; from feasibility and concept design of the array and connections through to construction and commissioning. You take responsibility for delivering to the highest standards whether as project manager or technical expert.
We need an excellent communicator who can explain complex ideas. You will be confident in front of clients and your reports are clear and easy to read. You will work collaboratively with a wide range of experts from across the company and in partner organisations. You will be able to travel to sites in the UK and overseas when required.
You will be keen to further your career as well as mentor junior members of the team and we will help you develop in both technical and professional areas.
You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment. In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, tailored personal development plans, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field.
Skills and experience
The position would suit applicants:
- With a strong degree in power engineering or electrical engineering
- With significant experience in PV infrastructure implementation, electrical system design and preparing specifications
- With demonstrable experience in some of:
- PV Feasibility and grid connection studies
- Utility and local scale storage
- Network analysis
- Deployment of smart solutions
- Network innovation projects and funding mechanisms
- Management of technically complex projects
- Passionate about renewable energy, energy system innovation and sustainability
- Numerate and comfortable building models in Excel
- With experience writing proposals and winning public and private sector energy consultancy projects
- With the ability to manage complex projects to a successful conclusion
- With strong communication skills with examples of your writing for different audiences
- With the ability to breakdown complex research questions, think creatively and solve novel problems
- Who are proactive, ready to help and willing to support junior members of the team
Fluency in English is essential, fluency in French, Spanish, or Portuguese is desirable.
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach.
Please send your CV to be considered for this role. Please state reference 2022-1435.