Mechanical Design Engineer
Salary: £31,931 to £34,709 (dependent on skills and experience). A Specialist Allowance of up to £4000 per annum is also available for this role.
Hours: Full Time.
Contract Type: Open Ended.
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
We are currently seeking an experienced design engineer with specialist knowledge in complex mechanical systems to manage the design, development and procurement of its scientific research equipment. Instrument design is a key element in supporting the user community carrying out scientific studies at the ISIS facility, and there is an active programme of development of these systems as part of a wider facility growth.
You will be joining our Detector Design Section which is in charge of the design, procurement, installation and commissioning of the detector systems of the beamlines of ISIS. Within our team, you will contribute to the development and construction of leading-edge technical solutions for the next generation of neutron detectors.
Working within a team reporting to a senior mechanical engineer, the post holder will be responsible for:
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models.
- Participate in and document detector design reviews.
- Work closely with internal & external scientific and engineering staff to produce documentation for the support of the detector systems.
- Contribute to drafting of the detector system specifications to be submitted to external providers or contractors.
- Assisting in installation and commissioning of detector systems.
- Contributing to project and risk management.
- Guidance to technical staff constructing mechanical designs generated.
Get to know us
The ISIS Neutron and Muon Source is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. Through the use of a proton accelerator and a high-power target facility, we produce beams of neutrons and muons that allow scientists to study materials at the atomic level using a suite of instruments, often described as 'super-microscopes'.
Working at the forefront of scientific endeavour is not possible without a dedicated team of engineers able to turn abstract scientific ideas into reality. At the ISIS facility, each problem requires a unique solution, taking advantage of the latest technologies to deliver the seemingly impossible. Our engineers have the freedom to choose their own solution and the responsibility to take it to completion.
What we offer
We are offering permanent positions with a whole host of benefits including:
- 30 days holiday (in addition to 10.5 bank holidays and privilege days)
- Flexible working hours.
- An excellent defined average salary pension scheme
- Employee shopping/travel discounts
- Excellent learning and development opportunities
- Visa Sponsorship for candidates applying outside of the UK
Plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
How to apply:
For full details of this post view: Insert Link. Early applications are encouraged as interviews will be taking place on a rolling basis.
Closing Date: 12th June 2022