At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About the opportunity
Reporting to the Technology Solutions Group Lead, you will drive the growth and development of the Telecom Solutions Team.
You will also provide technical solutions and consultancy services for clients and provide presentations to industry related groups plus provide close sales support with the Portfolio Leads and their sales teams. Additionally, you will be responsible for the day to day line management of the telecoms team and develop their technical competencies.
• Work in partnership with the Technology Solutions Group Lead and Head of Operations to drive a culture of safety and inclusion.
• Grow and develop the Telecom Solutions team capability within Jacobs by supporting the sales team to win work and then recruiting / managing a team of engineers.
• Be personally responsible for staff utilisation, G&A control and Billability, taking necessary steps to resource “level” across your responsibility area and ensure resource is available to support bids.
• Be recognised within Jacobs as the single point of contact for Operational Delivery in your discipline or responsibility area.
• Be accountable for Technical excellence, quality, consistency and on time delivery for your responsibility area.
• Coordinate Team Training, Development and Competence Management in your responsibility area.
• Ensuring Resource Management systems are kept up to date and identifying gaps in skills and resource to the Technology Solutions Group Lead in a timely manner
• Day to day Line Management of Telecommunications Solutions Team.
• Ensure long term staff engagement.
• To develop a culture of technical excellence and drive a right first-time culture
• Work collaboratively with Portfolio Leads, and their teams, to ensure innovation and technical excellence are effectively delivered, to meet client needs.
• Support the development of the Transportation Global Integrated Delivery (GID) delivery Plan, ensuring that our capability is full aligned with the plan and supports the development of successful co-working with the GID centers.
• Drive the development & innovation of our technical solutions for our clients, to meet their greatest challenges.
• Work with the Emerging Technology and Innovation Team specialists to develop and deploy latest technology.
Whilst there is no set location for this role, it will require the ability to travel in line with business needs.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
• Excellent communication skills.
• Approved as a Design CRE for Operational Rail Telecommunications systems
• Extensive knowledge of Network Rail Telecommunication TENE Procedures
• Experience in people management and coaching.
• Degree/HNC or relevant experience.
The following skills and experience would be valued:
• Chartered Engineer or working toward it.
• Previously worked as a CEM on NR design projects
• Cisco CCNP certification
• Knowledge of SISS Systems (CCTV, PAVA, Clocks, Passenger Information Systems)
• Member / working towards full membership of Institute of Railway Signal Engineers.
• Interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
• Coaching and developing a technical team of mixed abilities
• A passion for innovation and technical excellence
• Strategic Mindset
• Drives vision & purpose
• An industry recognised specialist in GSM-R, Telephony, Optical fibre and IP Network design.
• Complex Problem solver
• Delivers Solutions
• Customer Focus
• Situational Adaptability
• Cultivates Innovation
• A Global Mindset and demonstrated ability to work across cultures and remotely with our Global Integrated Delivery teams
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.