Estates Operations & Maintenance is a section within the Directorate of Technology, Estates and Facilities which is the largest support department at the University of York. It carries responsibility for input to the design of all major and minor construction projects in the University, together with the responsibility for the maintenance of building fabric throughout the life of the building, utilities, services and grounds.
We are looking for an experienced electrician to join our multi-skilled technical team. The successful candidate will undertake planned maintenance, installation, alterations and repairs to the University’s building fabric, engineering systems and services. Our Electricians oversee contracted and maintenance repair work and may be required to provide signatory duties to demonstrate the isolation of equipment or services.
Our team works alongside students, academics, technical staff and contractors on a 500 acre site where inevitably no two days will ever be the same.
Main purpose of the role
To provide a comprehensive set of electrical trades based skills, with some additional skills across different trades to allow for flexible working and to safely maintain the infrastructure and equipment of our buildings.
Key responsibilities (Role holders will be required to undertake some or all of the duties below)
- To undertake reactive repairs to building fabric, fixtures and fittings, engineering systems and services within the scope and understanding of the role and using a range of hand tools and techniques.
- To undertake planned maintenance to inspect and diagnose faults and repairs to the building, fabric, fixtures, fittings, engineering systems and equipment and undertake remedial repairs.
- To undertake the periodic inspection and testing of engineering, monitoring, control and functional systems and associated equipment to ensure that machines continue to run smoothly, building systems operate efficiently and the physical condition of buildings does not deteriorate.
- To plan and lay out repair work using diagrams, drawings, blueprints, maintenance manuals and schematic diagrams.
- To oversee contracted maintenance and repair work and servicing of equipment to ensure that the work is carried out to the specification, quality and timeliness required by the University.
- To ensure a working understanding of all engineering plant and equipment, maintenance schedules and safety procedures and the relevant legislation and University regulations.
- To identify opportunities to reduce electrical demand and improve sustainability towards a zero carbon agenda.
- You will work a 5 out of 7 pattern.
- You will be part of a Standby and on-call rota where you will be expected to respond to Business Critical issues out of hours and at weekend
The above list of duties is not exhaustive and is subject to change. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties within the scope and grading of the post.
Please visit the role on our website for full role details and to view the Job Description/ Person Specification via the Apply on website button.