At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
We are looking for a highly experienced EU Project Manager to support the EU Office at CERN and the IdeaSquare facility for furthering CERN’s mission by ensuring the impact of scientific and technological change on society and with a special focus on sustainability. CERN, take part!
Working also closely with the Site and Civil Engineer Department at CERN (SCE) will be essential.
As a Senior EU Projects Manager you will be responsible for co-managing the ATTRACT initiative as well as developing the internal CERN Green Village initiative. In particular, you will:
- Carry the necessary managerial tasks in the ATTRACT initiative that an EU Project Coordinator undertakes (e.g. leading the management work package, supporting the leaders of other work packages in the consortium, interacting operationally and strategically with the EC, preparing deliverables and reporting to the EC, etc);
- Take a leading role, in collaboration with the SCE Department, for ramping up and developing the Green Village initiative. This will include, among others, framing and supervising collaboration agreements with industry in order to test sustainable solutions linked to CERN’s environmental sustainability roadmap, identifying and applying for suitable EU funding programmes, etc;
- Interact with scientists, students and International R&D&I Organizations to strengthen links envisioning EU funded projects;
- Co-organize and manage large communication and outreach events;
- Co-develop and coordinate communication plans, activities and their monitoring related to European Union-funded projects, especially;
- Contribute to the elaboration of strategic, operational, managerial and budgetary plans for IdeaSquare.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of political science or public administration or a related field.
Demonstrated experience in the following fields:
- Strong field experience in the management of large projects (e.g. more than 7-10 organizations involved);
- Strong experience related to EU R&D&I and strategic sustainability policies and the operational functioning of the relevant EU stakeholders related to them;
- Strategic, operational design and management of large (10 M Euros and beyond) EU funded R&D&I projects in the area of sustainability (energy, transport, environment, etc) with strong industrial participation;
- Strong experience of a wide variety of EU funding programmes at the level of proposal writing and project management;
- Teaching/training courses/workshops to researchers in R&D&I organizations related to EU funding and specifically proposal writing.
Desired experience in:
- The organization of the communication plans, activities and their monitoring related to European funded projects;
- Elaboration of operational business and managerial plans;
- Strategic, operational design and management of large (10 M Euros and beyond) EU funded R&D&I projects in areas such as deep technologies (e.g. detection, imaging, computing, etc) with strong industrial participation.
- Project management: :management and administration of EU projects
- Knowledge of EU Policy
- Knowledge of EU regulations: , including EU framework programmes.
- Financial planning.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions; selecting the appropriate medium and forum to communicate; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrating accountability: making appropriate use of the Organization's resources; working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; using openness and honesty to interact constructively with others.
- Fluent spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts, as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/or official communications and to make oral presentations.
- Working knowledge of French would be an asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12:00 CET 08.07.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (2 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IPT-EU-2022-58-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Communications/Public Relations /External Relations Professional