L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Component Engineer
Job Location – Tewkesbury or Fleet
Job ID – SAS20221305-82304
Your next role
Are you looking for an opportunity to grow and enhance your skills as a Component Engineer in a dynamic industry that is constantly developing and delivering innovative, next-generation capabilities?
At L3Harris, in our Intelligence & Cyber International (ICI) division, we work closely with UK Government and Security Agencies to shape and build cutting-edge solutions that combat the ever-evolving threats faced by the public and private sectors on a daily basis.
We are growing our Business Assurance team with a newly created Component Engineer role. The Component Engineer will report into our Configuration Team Lead and join a small team to liaise with the Engineering, Supply Chain and commercial departments to create and manage accurate component data.
The Component Engineer will control the specification, approval and management of company component data ensuring compliance to all relevant standards.
We can offer hybrid working with an emphasis on mostly working from home if preferred. Office working from our Tewkesbury site will be required ad-hoc.
What the role will involve
If you were to join our team of dedicated experts, the responsibilities of your role will include the following:
- Proactively manage component obsolescence using the “Information Handling Services (IHS) BOM Intelligence” tool and information from IHS and supplier/manufacturer Product Change Notification (PCN) reporting.
- Acquire and record the evidence necessary for compliance with RoHS and other environmental standards.
- Process component Deviation Requests submitted by our Contract Electronic Manufacturers (CEMs) to identify and assess the use of alternative components based on accurate comparison of datasheet specifications and availability.
- Enter component parameter data into the ARAS Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) system and SAP Material Requirements Planning (MRP) system by processing new component requests and augmenting the data supplied to include: Export Classification, lifecycle state, RoHS compliance, linked product etc.
- Be responsible for the integrity of the PLM and MRP component database by ensuring new components are not duplicates. Ensure consistent company component naming and numbering and performing rationalisation, obsolescence and data integrity audits.
- To assign export classifications to components and products in the company business systems and maintain in accordance with engineering and regulatory changes.
- Determining export classifications for components, assemblies, documentation, software, services, and products.
- Maintain export compliance data in the companu business systems in accordance with Engineering and regulatory change.
- Acquiring and recording the evidence necessary for compliance with ITAR, EAR and other UK and international export regulations, in respect of export classifications.
- Providing experience and judgement to support requests for authorised export exemptions, and for determining commodity codes.
What you’ll bring
The role of Component Engineer requires the following experience and skills:
- Experience of reading and understanding component datasheets and manufacturers websites
- A qualification in Electronic Engineer or to be equally qualified through relevant work experience in an Electronic Engineering domain.
- A thorough understanding of component parameters and the ideal and non-ideal properties of components.
- An understanding of Electronic product design processes.
- Knowledge of industry regulations (CE, UL) and compliance and export classification requirements in the defence industry.
At L3Harris, we value and appreciate everything our people do for us, and offer an attractive package. A few of our benefits are:
- Flexible working hours and hybrid working where possible
- 3.5 hour day on Fridays
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- 25 days holiday per year, increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Training and development opportunities and support with qualifications where relevant
- Mental health and wellbeing schemes
Important to know
Many of our roles require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and may be subject to government security checks.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination and offers equal opportunities for all. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.