L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Systems Engineering Team Lead
Job Location – Tewkesbury or Fleet
Job ID – SAS20220905-81914
About the role:
At L3Harris, in our Intelligence & Cyber International division, we work closely with UK Government and Security Agencies to shape and build cutting-edge solutions that combat the ever-evolving threats faced by the public and private sectors on a daily basis.
We are looking for a Systems Engineering Team Lead to join our Engineering team in either Tewkesbury or Fleet working on a variety of Cyber Security or Electronic Warfare projects. Reporting to the overall Systems Engineering Manager, you will take a leading role in the Systems Engineering activities for systems or sub-systems on engineering development programmes, whilst also line managing a group of experienced Engineers (circa 6-10).
What the role will involve
If you join our team of dedicated experts, the responsibilities of your role will include the following:
- Taking a leading role in the development of complex Cyber Encryption or Electronic Warfare Systems and in some cases acting as the Technical Authority or Systems Architect for a sub-system.
- Provide technical leadership to engineering teams and the opportunity to influence the wider business to improve the way Systems Engineering is executed.
- Providing Line Management to a team of 6 – 10 Systems Engineers and other disciplines, helping to mentor, coach and support their career growth.
- Contribute to the development of the Systems Engineering Function through the promotion of Systems Engineering best practice, tools, processes and training.
- Contribute to the generation of technical proposals, bids and presentations.
- Drive the test and qualification strategy for solutions and sub-systems.
- Opportunities to participate in trials, customer demonstrations and onsite acceptance testing in a range of countries worldwide.
What you'll bring
The role of Systems Engineering Team Lead requires the following experience and skills:
- Experience of taking a leading role in engineering development projects through most parts of the systems lifecycle from concept definition through to handover to the customer and a good understanding of Project Management and Engineering Management through producing realistic estimates, managing risk and monitoring progress to meet tight timescales.
- Ability to capture, manage and decompose system requirements for complex EW or Cyber Security systems.
- Ability to understand, describe, document and present an abstracted view of a complex system through a variety of media.
- Ability to develop Verification strategies for complex embedded systems.
- Skilled at using DOORS or other similar Requirements Management Tools.
- Understanding of design for reliability, human factors, safety and security.
- Awareness of software design and development, FPGA and Electronic design (digital and RF).
- Experience of Model based systems engineering using SysML
- Some experience of line management, team leadership and/or mentoring of more junior engineering staff.
- Relevant industry experience in either the Defence, Aerospace or other complex embedded environments.
- Domain experience in at least one of either Cyber Security or RF (such as EW, Communications or Radar) is preferred.
At L3Harris, we value and appreciate everything our people do for us, and offer a really attractive package. A few of our benefits are:
- Flexible working hours and hybrid working where possible
- 3.5 hour day on Fridays – finish before 12pm!
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- 25 days holiday per year, increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical
- illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Training and development opportunities and support with qualifications where relevant
- Mental health and wellbeing schemes
Important to know
Many of our roles require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and may be subject to government security checks.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination and offers equal opportunities for all. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.