Role - Senior Environment Permitting Specialist
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary: £41,500 - c£65,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
We are seeking an Environmental Permitting Specialist to join a small team of subject matter experts responsible for providing advice and guidance in their area of expertise. The specialist will act as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for airborne discharges associated with regulated facilities on the AWE sites.
The role of the permitting team is to ensure that AWE has all the necessary Environmental Permits required to carry out its activities and to ensure that arrangements are in place to deliver compliance with the requirements of those permits. This includes permits for the disposal of radioactive waste and for installations, such as combustion plant. The Airborne Discharges SME will work closely with the operational areas of the business and with the Environment Agency on permitting matters.
This role is suited to a technical expert in the field of environmental permitting, with experience in the management of airborne discharges. Experience of radioactive substances activity permits relating to the disposal of radioactive waste would be an advantage, but we would also be interested to hear from people with wider environmental permitting knowledge who have the enthusiasm and ability to learn and develop their skills.
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates should be able to demonstrate some of the following:
- An understanding of the environmental legislation that applies to airborne discharges from industrial processes covered under the Environmental Permitting Regulations (IED Installations and RSR activities).
- Educated to degree level in a scientific or environmental discipline or have significant work experience in a related area.
- Confident, self-motivated individual who demonstrates excellent organisation and prioritisation skills to balance a varied workload and achieve the set deadlines
- Proficient in MS Office and SharePoint and have strong IT skills.
- Experience of developing arrangements that deliver compliance with regulatory requirements and of undertaking compliance inspections.
- Experience of liaising with environmental regulators, demonstrating excellent communication, influencing, and negotiating skills.
- Experience of working as an environmental specialist in industry, environmental consultancy or in a regulatory role.
- Experience of coordinating and/or authoring Environmental Permit applications, Best Available Techniques Assessments, and environmental risk assessments.
- Experience of providing RWA advice as an individual or as part of a Corporate Radioactive Waste Adviser Body would be an advantage.