Description of role:
The role entails integrating with an agile project team delivering a wide portfolio of fast-paced projects, developing non-destructive testing (NDT) and evaluation solutions for a variety of stakeholders. Some of these projects entail provision of inspection services for specific customers; others entail longer-term research and development of bespoke inspection solutions. These projects require mechanical and/or software and/or NDT skills and experience, coupled with practical problem solving skills.
- Delivering development and technical inspection activities related to advanced robotic/automated inspection, including technique and procedure development and, as required, travel to various customer sites to undertake trials and demonstrations.
- Proactively developing expertise in robotic/automated ultrasonic and/or electromagnetic inspection.
- Delivering and project managing engineering and NDT related activities as required by internal and external customers, meeting time and budgetary targets.
- Contributing to business development by participating in feasibility analysis, project scoping and planning.
- Creating and delivering technical documentation including reports, proposals and other technical content, including publications.
- Degree or equivalent qualification in engineering, physics, computer science or similar discipline, though we welcome applicants with relevant robotics experience.
- Higher level degree and/or working towards, or holding Incorporated or Chartered status linked to membership of a relevant professional institute. Support will be provided to work towards Chartered status.
Skills (At least one of the following):
- Electromechanical, robotics, or engineering skills.
- Prototyping development and testing.
- Developing code for lab based robot/actuator control testing (e.g. C/C++ and/or Python and/or Matlab and/or Labview, etc)
- Hardware integration through implementation of Software Development Kits (SDK) and/or Application Programming Interfaces (API).
- Data processing skills.
- Signal/image processing skills.
- Interfacing with NDT hardware units via API. Project management skills. Business development skills.
- Project scoping pricing and bidding skills.
This permanent position has become available through the Advanced Engineering Materials Research Institute (AEMRI), which is funded by the Welsh European Funding Office (WEFO) using European Regional Development Funds (ERDF).
This position will require occasional travel both in the UK and abroad as required to meet project and client needs.
You will require UK security clearance for this role.
TWI Ltd is a world expert in engineering, materials and joining technologies. We provide industry with advice and know-how in design, fabrication, failure analysis and prevention.
TWI Ltd is committed to treating all employees fairly and to being an inclusive employer. Our aim is to create a work environment where our employees can reach their full potential. We put Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of our people practices to attract, develop and retain the best talent.
Closing Date: 6th July 2022
Reference number: 42/22
For further details, please click on the Job Description.