What to expect
Body Chassis Engineering is one of the larger teams within the Jaguar and Land Rover PE organisation. The department has complete responsibility for the design and development of all Jaguar and Land Rover Body Structure, Interior, Exterior & Chassis systems from concept design through to volume production. With an increasing emphasis on Systems Engineering and virtual development techniques, the department utilises advanced Associative Vehicle Architecture (AVA) CAD and CAE to support the product development process. A role within the Lids CoC involves working with a wide range of materials and manufacturing techniques, challenging functional and commercial targets and significant liaison with all internal areas of our business, as well as external component and system suppliers.
This role is within the ‘Front Lids and Energy Renewal Housings' team as a Project Engineer, reporting to the Group Leader and programme Technology Area Leader or programme Module Leader. The role will specifically focus on the engineering design, development and performance validation of fuel filler and charge port housings, together with associated sub-components (illumination, mechanisms and control features), on a new or ongoing vehicle programme, from concept confirmation through to attainment of Part Submission Warrant (PSW) and product launch at the vehicle manufacturing plant.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* Maintenance of and delivery against the commodity timing plan, ensuring all programme milestones are met.
* Work with Subject Matter Experts, CAD engineers and suppliers to develop CAD geometry which complies with all applicable requirements and standards, according to to VEPS maturity guidelines.
* Engineering issue resolution using recognised problem solving techniques and the Automated Issue Management system (AIMS) to identify root cause and implement permanent solutions, in support of the programme performance metrics.
* Work with the commodity supplier(s) to meet the Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) deliverables
* Work with cost engineering and purchasing to manage change requests and supplier quotation analysis in support of delivery of the programme cost targets.
* Liaise between JLR Design and suppliers to achieve feasible solutions compatible with Design intent.
* Keep all commodity documentation up to date including:Agile administration (e.g. JIRA tickets)
* Programme specific DFMEA or DRBFM (Design Review Based on Failure Mode)
* RMDV (Requirement and Test Planning), including preparation and upload of reports and evidence
* Bill of Materials
* Product Design Specifications (PDS) and Engineering Statement of Work (ESOW)
* Evidence Based Engineering Reviews (EBER)
* Device Transmittal (DT) database for component electrical interfaces
* Organise and support regular Structured Engineering Reviews during the Virtual Series phase with the department core team, to ensure system geometric compatibility and compliance with BoD.
* Completion of all Production Release Data Judgement activity (PRDJ) in support of P-Release : full tool production authorisation, using WERS / iCREATE utilities..
* Detailed planning of component validation activities through to component sign off (CSO) and support of the engineering laboratories team in resolving any rig/component setup or test issues.
* Support pre-production builds both within the UK and at overseas manufacturing locations (where applicable).
* Identification of root cause and corrective actions for component test/validation failures or build issues and implementation of appropriate engineering changes through WERS / iCREATE utilities.
* Undertake any other work as directed by their line manager in connection with their job as may be requested from time to time.
What you'll need
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Component development and delivery experience, both in engineering design definition and product launch.
* A knowledge of engineering commodity planning and change management processes.
* A knowledge of automotive body exterior systems and vehicle manufacturing processes.
* An understanding of Design FMEA, Design Verification Planning and Problem-Solving processes.
* Ability to visualise and interrogate CAD geometry.
* Relevant Degree or equivalent education and experience.
* Ability to manipulate and interrogate CAD geometry in Catia V6 and Enovia.
* A knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and product dimensional control.
* A knowledge of volume component manufacturing processes, particularly injection moulding.
* A knowledge of common automotive material characteristics and performance.
* A knowledge of electro-mechanical assemblies and electrical interface requirements.
* Experience of OEM / supplier relationship management.
* Experience of working within an Agile organisation.