As Project Engineer - Body in White (BIW) you'll take on a project management role working within the team, managing Verification Build panel manufacture ensuring parts are delivered on time to the correct quality standard. You'll support the development of the BIW low volume strategy for all major panels and be a point of contact at VB readiness/delivery reviews liaising with Manufacturing Engineering, Stamping Engineering Team and Dimensional Teams (DMBI).
You'll support driving the Bill of Materials generation, report part quality, delivery status and establish low volume budget costs. You'll work closely with programmes, purchasing and external suppliers on commercial aspects. You'll also support the delivery of build activities through the lifecycle of the project.
Key Performance Indicators
● Development and maintenance of program/part/supplier trackers
● Work within critical timing and programme objectives meeting deadlines defined by the programme team and commodity cycle plan
● Work with all necessary resources, PE, Purchasing, Finance, Programme, AME to achieve programme objectives
● Positive and productive working
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Supplier & cross-functional team support
- Ensure VB engineering freezes are deliverable, feasible, within budget, deliver system function and are compatible with bill of process
- Ensure project/part trackers are comprehensively created/maintained with part revisions and quality tracked through frequent cross-functional/supplier reviews
- WERS BoM alignment
- GPIRS BoM alignment
- Raise and progress GPIRS RPS' and SAP TURBO orders ensuring all supporting components are ordered for delivery, meeting quality and cost targets
Pro-active support of Working Level Process Chain & Triage meetings
- Understanding and keeping track of engineering change
- Maintain VB parts revision status on the Master Parts tracker
- Highlighting critical feasibility issues based on part simulations and communicating recommendations for change
Technical Project management and supplier liaison
- Applying the BIW prototype strategy for all major panels, liaising with Advanced Manufacturing Engineering, Pressed Parts Group, Supplier Tooling Team and Dimensional Teams (DMBI) as necessary ensuring optimum alignment and maximising VB learning opportunities
- Supplier visits ensuring quality/timely supply of parts and technical point of contact between JLR / Supplier(s)
- Expected to apply own initiative to progress and deliver BIW Components to correct rev levels achieving quality expectations
- Undertake any other work as directed by their line manager in connection with their job as may be requested
● Body Complete Module and Lead Engineers: Body Engineering.
● Pilot Operations VB Build Leads: Prototype Operations.
● Launch Team: Manufacturing Production Integration.
● DMBI Engineers: Dimensional Systems.
● Non-Production purchasing.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
● Knowledge of low volume part(s) requisition, manufacturing methods & pressed parts tooling
● Previous experience of managing resolution of business, technical and process issues within a Project Team environment
● A good working knowledge of product creation & delivery, change control, product definition and change management processes
● Degree qualified or equivalent experience preferred
● Previous experience within engineering or programme planning departments
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with strong influencing and engagement skills
● An individual with the ability to challenge existing thinking in a positive way whilst building credibility and trust through experience and personal style
● An individual with a customer first mindset who is easy to do business with and makes people feel special, driven to deliver experiences that are personalised, transparent and dependable
● An individual, who works independently, is results driven, demonstrating tenacity, drive and perseverance with the ability to deliver operational plans in a complex, highly demanding environment
● An individual with the capability to combine a short term, pragmatic focus with medium term planning
● A resilient and enthusiastic who responds constructively to new ideas and inputs
● A good communicator with the ability to communicate complex ideas
● An effective team player, actively develops and supports other team members