About the job
The New Information System Service Solution (NISSS) Programme is a Cat A Programme focused on disaggregating single supplier contract in line with Cabinet Office direction. In order to do this effectively it will also need to drive the modernisation of the IT services, processes & capability to de-risk the disaggregation. The Programme is a critical strategic enabler to the provision of Services to enable the delivery of S&T capability.
As a result of this size and complexity the Programme has a number of high-level stakeholders to engage, lead & manage in order for the Programme to be a success. These include:
• MOD Cat A Approvals Board
• Defence Digital
• Specialist Defence Departments
• Specialist Government Departments.
The Programme is broadly separated into a number of project delivery areas; Target Operating Model, Procurement & Transition. These project areas are in different phases of delivery and maturity with the current Programme focus being progressing the main Procurement phase focussing on achieving the commercial competition for the external service partners.
The NISSS Programme Manager Role is a critical position leading, negotiating, assuring and engaging in all the above mentioned areas to ensure the Programme is a success. It is an exciting and challenging role that will offer plenty of opportunity to utilise current skills and knowledge and the opportunity to develop and establish plenty more.
In order to maintain the current pace of delivery the NISSS Programme Manager incumbent will need to be an established leader with experience of delivering within a mixed civil service, contractor and managed service environment. An understanding and experience of commercial delivery with an emphasis of leading within a commercial project is going to be crucial to the success of this role.
This will be an exciting and interesting post for anyone looking to hone and develop their Programme management skills and knowledge.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
The Programme Manager ensures that the programme delivers the agreed strategic outcomes adhering to Dstl’s P3 processes. The Programme Manager works closely with their Senior Responsible Officer (SRO), who will oversee the exploitation operational outcomes in order for Defence and Security to realise the required S&T or business benefits.
Programme Manager leads and coordinates a Programme Management team in managing the delivery of more complicated and strategic programmes.
We are looking for someone who has:
• An experienced leader who can with a passion to succeed and influence others to achieve the goals of the programme.
• A strong desire to deliver outputs for Defence through Science and Technology or our strategic Digital, Estate and business change projects;
• Existing knowledge and demonstrable evidence of best practice in the delivery of projects and programmes;
o Demonstrable knowledge and experience of Information Technology (IT) or Information Service (IS) project and programme delivery.
o Demonstrable knowledge and experience of commercial competitions within the projects and programmes environment.
o Demonstrable knowledge and experience of delivering and embedding business change initiatives within a culturally diverse and sensitive organisation.
• The ability to lead, influence and motivate an extensive team to deliver exploitable programme outcomes;
• The ability to manage and influence stakeholders to ensure programme success;
o Demonstrable knowledge and experience of developing relationshsips within the MOD Category A & B Approvals process.
• The ability to interpret strategic intent to others in a manner that is clear and actionable.
We are looking for the following essential skills:
• Excellent communication;
• Stakeholder management;
• People Leadership;
• Negotiation & conflict management within a leadership environment focussing on delivering agreed outcomes;
• Commercial management and contract delivery;
• Management and implementation of IT/IS process change.
• Able to demonstrate the professional credibility required to work collaboratively across programme and organisational boundaries;
and the following desirable skills:
• Mentoring (Programme Manager 2-3).
• Business change management and implementation
In this role you will have the following responsibilities:
Programme Manager 3
• Business case – Review and drive the clearances of the business case with project leads and SMEs
• Communications & Stakeholder Management –Manage & develop key stakeholder relationships that enable the programme and highlight need for senior level support.
• Guidance – Provide leadership direction and guidance on development to team and more broadly across departmental profession.
• Resource Management – Secures resources and directs planning scheduling, resourcing and estimating for complex and large scale programmes.
• Risks & Issues – Leads effective risk and issue management. Ensures mitigations are in place and resolved through negotiated agreement.
• Benefits realisation – Drives an effective realisation of benefits for customers through planning and designing and that project outputs meet programme requirements.
• Programme Performance & Controls – Maintain overall integrity and coherence of programme and governance framework to support each project. Plan programme assurance activities.
• Leadership vision & objectives – Cascade vision and translate into delivery objectives for the team. Lead the programme to deliver the business case benefits and outcomes.
• Dependency Management – Work with project leads and business as usual to ensure dependencies are actively managed, act as an arbiter and enforcer and resolve issues between the various elements of the programme.
These responsibilities are taken from the Project Delivery Capability Framework (PDCF) and describe the career pathway for the role.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
If you are a current Dstl employee, you are encouraged to inform your line manager of your application as they can support you through the process and should you be successful it will help in negotiating a release date.
Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working either at one of our sites or from home or both. We want to empower you to undertake your duties at the most appropriate location for the task, however you will be allocated a Dstl site as a base. You may be required to travel to other Dstl and MoD sites as required.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Please provide examples demonstrating your leadership skills delivering and working with a range of stakeholders.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 37 hours can be taken in any calendar month.
Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
Chartership and accreditation support.
Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
A competitive salary. Onsite gyms and restaurants.Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Race, Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
See our vetting charter.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
Sifting will be taking place week commencing the 18th July 2022 with successful candidates being invited for interviews during the week commencing 8th August 2022
Applicants invited to interview will undergo a combined Technical and behaviour based interview which will assess their experiences and behaviours relating to the requirements detailed in the attached job profile.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team email@example.com and we will do all we can to support you.
We offer a guaranteed interview for all disabled applicants who provide evidence in their application of meeting the minimum essential requirements of the post, set out in the job description. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
We actively encourage and welcome applications from those who work alternative working patterns (part-time, job share, term-time only etc.), Please be prepared to discuss this if you are selected for interview. You can also discuss your working pattern with the recruiting line manager or talent acquisition adviser at the application stage if preferred.
For those invited to interview a 10 minute presentation will be required. The title of this will be communicated after the sift to successful candidates
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.
Apply and further information
This vacancy is part of the Great Place to Work for Veterans initiative.
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.