Electromagnetics Test Engineer
RAL Space: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
Salary: £31,931 - £34,709 per annum (dependent on skills and experience). A Specialist Allowance of up to £2,000 per annum is also available for this role.
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full time
RAL Space is one of the largest interdisciplinary space departments in Europe, for over 50 years we have contributed to more than 200 instruments in space. We are expanding our test capabilities and require integration and test engineers to work in the Electromagnetics group, part of the National Satellite Test Facility (NSTF) which is currently under construction at Harwell in Oxfordshire.
The NSTF will include a large, shielded anechoic chamber housing our high specification electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) test equipment and a 12 m x 12 m planar near-field scanner for antenna measurements up to 75 GHz.
The Test Engineers will carry out EMC testing and antenna measurements of satellites and payloads in the NSTF. You will also support RF, microwave and millimetre-wave integration and test activities in other projects in RAL Space such as millimetre-wave receivers for MetOp-SG instruments, using RF and microwave test equipment such as spectrum analysers, power meters, frequency counters, signal generators, and vector network analysers.
As a satellite progresses through a measurement campaign in the NSTF you will have opportunities to work alongside other staff in the Environmental Test Division (ETD) performing vibration, acoustic and thermal vacuum testing and maintaining clean room infrastructure.
Detailed duties and responsibilities:
- To set-up, operate, analyse and report on EMC, antenna measurement testing and perform RF, microwave and millimetre-wave integration and test of space hardware
- Working to the relevant standards and procedures
- Working in ESD controlled and cleanroom conditions
- Working with the test team and internal and external customers
- To work with customers to set-up their test items (satellites) and the associated ground support equipment
- To monitor and operate test facility equipment
- Ensuring technical performance
- Implementing maintenance and calibration plans
- To be responsible for the safe operations
- Ensuring Health and Safety standards, STFC codes & policies are followed
- Follow risk assessments for facilities as well as specific test campaigns
- Identify and recommend possible improvements in efficiency or quality at any stage of the integration and test processes
- Proven practical skills in one or more of the following fields or closely related fields:
- EMC testing
- Antenna measurements
- RF/microwave integration and test
- Experience of working in a technical environment to defined procedures and standards.
- Broad technical understanding of EMC and/or RF/microwave test techniques including the typical technologies used in operation.
- Responsible approach to health and safety
What we offer
STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days' annual leave, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies, a subsidised restaurant and good public transport links.
The closing date for applications is 26th June 2022