The Defence and Space Business Unit in BAE Systems Digital Intelligence delivers mission focused solutions in cyber & electronic warfare, digital transformation and special communications to clients across Land, Sea, Air, Space and Cyber.
We are looking to recruit researchers to join our rapidly expanding Data Research group based in Great Baddow, Essex.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence Laboratories is seeking to recruit senior researchers to join our rapidly expanding Data Research group. We are looking for candidates who are adaptable, enthusiastic and highly motivated. You should have existing skills in Artificial Intelligence or neural net based machine learning applied to the computer vision domain. You will also need to be a proficient programmer, particularly in Python, with extensive experience in the use of libraries and toolboxes to support efficient development. You will work on a wide range of computer vision research topics for customers across the defence, security and commercial sectors, including for internal BAE Systems customers. You will also have the opportunity to forge strong links with academic partners and to grow and lead technical research areas of interest to you.
The Data Research group has a diverse range of teams working in: reinforcement learning, NLP, knowledge graphs and graph based neural nets, AI for RF and EW, sonar and acoustics and you will have the opportunity to work with these colleagues in multi-disciplinary teams.
Candidates will mix technical challenges with customer-facing and project support tasks. In addition to a solid academic background and excellent written and verbal communication skills, we are particularly interested in candidates with experience in the application of deep learning techniques for image and video synthesis, analytics and forensics.
- Lead novel research in given topic areas, often in partnership with leading UK Universities
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept demonstrators
- Take ownership of tasks in projects and deliver to challenging standards
- Work effectively both on self-directed projects and in larger project teams
- Effectively present results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Prepare and deliver technical reports, technical proposals and supporting material
- Lead small teams of scientists and engineers working in the same area
- Undertake mentoring of junior staff in Computer Vision research
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Several years of expertise in the application of deep learning to computer vision and image analysis problems, ideally in Defence or Security. You will probably have a PhD or equivalent in a relevant discipline, along with over five years appropriate experience.
- Evidence of publication in computer vision journals and conferences is essential.
- Of particular interest are candidates with experience in the application of the following to image and video data:
- deep learning
- generative adversarial networks and other approaches for image synthesis
- digital forensics and anti-forensics
- Experience in working with data from more exotic imaging sensors (e.g., X-ray, SAR, infra-red, etc.) would be beneficial.
- Appetite for working in a secure environment is desirable but not essential.
- Experience in software development for proof of concept in Python, with additional experience in: Matlab, R and Java considered a bonus
- Experience with machine and deep learning frameworks: TensorFlow, Pytorch, scikit-learn, etc. is essential
- The ideal candidate would have some management experience of a small team of researchers, or be willing to develop in this area
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we’re constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we’ll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you’ll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Staying competitive in today’s global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Life at BAE Systems Didgital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.