Mechanical Group Leader - Accelerator Design
Salary: £50,702 to £56,336 per annum (dependent on skills and experience). A Specialist Allowance of up to £5000 per annum is also available for this role.
Hours: Full time, but flexible working, including school friendly hours will be considered
Contract Type: Open Ended.
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
Additional Information: Early applications are encouraged as interviews may occur ahead of the closing date.
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. Alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives in the UK and far beyond.
Put simply, come and discover the impact you can make when you're equipped, encouraged and inspired to perform to your very best.
Discover the science your skills can enable by bringing your engineering experience to our ISIS Neutron and Muon Source. This facility is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. Through the use of a proton accelerator and a high-power target facility, we produce beams of neutrons and muons that allow scientists to study materials at the atomic level.
As a Mechanical Group Leader at his facility, you will lead the team handling all the mechanical design engineering for the ISIS particle accelerator. Additional role responsibilities include:
- Maintain existing systems and develop new equipment for upgrades throughout ISIS.
- Providing expert advice and mentorship to the engineers within your group.
- Management of safety processes within the group and related to all equipment designed by the group.
We are looking for someone with:
- HND or higher degree in mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of fundamental mechanical engineering principles.
- Experience in a mechanical design environment for particle accelerators or related industries.
- Experience in direct line management of a team.
- Experience in project management, delivering bespoke equipment from concept to handover.
What we offer
We are offering a permanent position with a whole host of benefits including:
- 30 days holiday (in addition to 10.5 bank holidays and privilege days)
- Flexible working hours.
- An excellent defined average salary pension scheme
- Employee shopping/travel discounts
- Excellent learning and development opportunities
- Visa Sponsorship for candidates applying outside of the UK
Plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. They turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
How to apply:
For full details on the role, please visit our careers site. Please submit an application including your CV and a Cover Letter that clearly showcases how your skills and experience align to the requirements of the role. If you experience any difficulties with applying online, please contact us on or call us on 01235 445634.
Closing Date: 17th July 2022