Stevenage MBDA Missile Systems - Together. For the future of defence
We have an opportunity for a Mechanical Systems Architect to join our Weapon System Equipment team, to work on the latest generation of vehicle mounted launcher products. The primary activity will be as part of the Land Ceptor team in the continued delivery of equipment to the UK Army and support to our ever expanding export programmes. As you progress in the role, opportunities will arise to influence the wider MBDA product range of mechanical launcher systems in conjunction with our future systems team.
The successful candidate will have responsibilities, working closely with the mechanical engineering design team to secure technical resources and expertise, to deliver mechanical systems engineering documentation that underpins direct activities on the equipment integration to mobile military platforms at system, subsystem and component level. To achieve this, you will have a number of direct and in-direct reports to help you achieve your objectives.
MBDA has a great employee development track record. Working for us will give you access to a range of professional technical experts who can support you in both your technical role and professional goals.
This role will suit Engineering Professionals with a background in:
What we're looking for:
- Mechanical design / installation in industrial, commercial or military contexts (all services)
- Systems engineers with a bias towards mechanical products
- System integration engineers who have dealt with mobile platforms
- Ex-Armed Forces personnel (all services) who have conducted engineering roles.
Someone who can demonstrate good knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Electro-mechanical & mechanical design, mechanical analysis and test, design for environment, product assembly and integration, material sciences, interface definitions and control, system or product certification
- Work within engineering process that control the flow down of functional and mechanical requirements to the design teams and ensure that system performances are met
- Manage product build definition as part of a system configuration baseline
- Explain the principals of mechanical design and integration to a technical audience and capture this as a system architecture definition
- Ensure that the mechanical architecture and compliance documentation has adequate oversight and is maintained for the Weapon System and Sub Systems
- Manage a wide range of partners to generate the required mechanical design and analysis data; undertake design reviews where required
- Perform mechanical trade studies between sub-systems and internal equipment
- Provide justification of the system mechanical and integration to platform design on behalf of the Chief Design Engineer
- Support the wider Weapon System Equipment engineering team in their activities based on your mechanical engineering knowledge where your boundaries of responsibility may overlap
- Create a vision for the modularity and re-use of system components for adoption in alternative weapon systems in the future
- Is willing to be flexible as new customer requirements emerge to prioritise system delivery in a highly inter-dependent to team
We are also interested in candidates who have a good understanding of broader fields and are looking to expand their experience. This may include Lifting and slinging / Design or testing in high Vibration and Shock environments / Project and Risk Management / Dimensions and Tolerancing / Critical Parts Management / Systems Engineering V-model / Failure Mode & Effects Analysis/ Mass and Thermal Management.Benefits
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.What's in it for you?
Join a great team!
- Be part of a highly technical, challenging project at the forefront of supporting our armed services and their allies.
- Have exposure to the full lifecycle development of weapon systems integration with mobile platforms
- Gain a solid understanding of the system and programme elements that are required to deliver a Weapon System from Concept to In-Service
- Influence MBDA policy regarding mechanical launcher architectures and design for platform installation
- Take a leading role in managing the launcher hardware definition and supplier alignment to programme requirements on behalf of the Chief Design Engineer
- Manage work packages including identifying cost, risk and product impact as part of the programme team
- Own the management of complex technical investigations using structured processes, as a result of emergent system properties either foreseen as part of development or as a result of customer feedback on the in-service systems
- Demonstrate your Engineering Leadership qualities that can lead to career advancement.
Weapon System Equipment are responsible for development and delivery of equipment for Land, Naval and Airborne domains, as well as training simulator products. The team works together to secure delivery of the hardware, software and validation for the equipment to time, cost and requirement given by the project.
We work across the entire design lifecycle from Concept to In-service and engage across a wide partner community to achieve this. This gives our employees, a great chance to network across a highly regulated but innovative engineering company and work with our management team to enable areas of personal development and growth. Initiatives undertaken by Weapon System
Equipment have transformed the way in which the company delivers products. Our presence in the company is expanding and Weapon System Equipment would like to recruit people who would like to be part of an expanding sphere of influence.
Weapon System Equipment has led the development of a coherent Design for Modularity and Reuse strategy within MBDA at National and International level since the establishment of the directorate and its predecessors.Why us?
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).Please Note:
MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role!