MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver for a more secure tomorrow The Opportunity
An opportunity has arisen for a Mechanical Design Engineer, (or Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer), to support and develop test equipment solutions for some of MBDA's most advanced products.
Whilst the primary aim is focused on MBDA's highly advanced missile programmes, there is scope to work on other unique opportunities, offering the right candidate a true engineering challenge in their core discipline, whilst providing scope for growth.
As part of the test equipment support team, this role is based in Bolton, UK, but you'll also be acting as an interface between Manufacturing, and the mechanical test equipment design team in Stevenage.What are we looking for?
A design engineer with an excellent depth and breadth of mechanical (/electro-mechanical), engineering expertise, who will bring practical, hands-on, problem solving experience to the role. This role will be suited to someone who enjoys a fast-paced work environment, working across a wide variety of mechanical test equipment design activities, and has prior production / design support experience.
Applicants should bring the following skills, capabilities, and experience to the role;
- Degree, HNC or HND qualified in a relevant mechanical or electro-mechanical discipline with demonstrable work experience in a design related role, (minimum 5 years).
- Significant practical experience in the use and understanding of machined, cast and sheet metal parts, 3D printing, and electronic packaging design. Completion of a craft apprenticeship in a mechanical discipline would be desirable, as would work experience in a production environment.
- Experienced in the design of mechanical structures, fixtures, jigs, electronic enclosures, and system installations, (e.g. cable/wire harness, pneumatics, hydraulics, etc).
- An ability to work from first principles or to pick up legacy work and adapt it accordingly, whilst demonstrating a creative yet analytical approach to problem solving. Design for manufacture/test, and an understanding of design for EMC, and design for thermal management would also be an advantage.
- Good understanding and experience of the full product lifecycle from initial concept through to in-service support and disposal. A knowledge of production testing, including ESS (environmental stress screening), would also be an advantage.
- Relevant 3D modelling & 2D drafting experience using an industry standard CAD/CAE system. ProEngineer / CREO preferred, but other CAD packages will be considered, (e.g. CATIA, Solidworks, Solid Edge etc.).
- Experience of data or lifecycle management tools, (such as PTC Windchill, Siemens Teamcenter, DS Enovia, or similar), and of document control would be a distinct advantageous.
At MBDA we value the behavioural competencies as much as the technical, and this role will also require applicants to demonstrate the following;
- Possession of excellent communication skills and the capability to tailor language appropriately to suit the intended audience.
- You will have a willing, helpful attitude and a calm professional manner, able to set priorities and deal with multiple issues, de-escalating potential conflicts as necessary.
- Able to work independently to support various types of engineering problems and help guide the Project Teams to a suitable conclusion.
- Capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and assisting junior members of the team to prioritise effectively.
What's in it for you?
- Commercial and financial awareness with respect to design decisions that the impact they have on work and the business strategies and how they influence the approach to a particular project.
The opportunity to work on unique and challenging engineering problems at the cutting edge of the industry, and to work on multi-national projects with some opportunity for national/international travel.
There will be an individually tailored skills development program, providing both on-the-job training and specialised courses, and a personal career development plan including structured progression strategy and professional accreditation.
You'll have exposure to multiple project teams and company departments, offering a fast-track overview of large sections of the business, and you'll have a position seated within the international Centre Of Excellence (CofEx) for Test Equipment.What would you get?
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), superb learning and development opportunities and more....
You'll be tasked with the design of mechanical fixtures, jigs and electronics enclosures in support of the System/Hardware Design Teams, and you'll be making engineering decisions within the delegated remit and acting as a design authority as appropriate.
It's expected that you'll take the lead in evaluating the technical issues involved in a project and developing suitable proposals. Taking these proposals forward with detailed analyses, investigations and concise conclusions.
Your responsibilities will include preparing specifications and bids, developing designs, carrying out design appraisals and recording and publishing designs in the company database, and you'll take an active role in maintaining and modifying relevant engineering processes and procedures. Also, working closely with managers to develop team improvements.
In this role, you'll be managing projects, planning and controlling multiple work packages simultaneously, handling personal priorities, and using diplomacy and dexterity to manage stakeholders expectations. The role will require you to work across multiple projects and develop solutions for products at differing stages of maturity including prototyping, production and end-user equipment.
You'll be generating design solutions to ISO 2768, utilising Datum Systems and carrying out tolerance studies as required. As such, a knowledge of GD&T would be beneficial, as would the ability to produce engineering drawings to BS8888.
You'll need to be skilled in reviewing existing or newly manufactured hardware to fault-find and de-bug and in refining the results to feed back in to the design process.
It's also expected that you'll keep up-to-date with relevant technical knowledge, identifying personal or team skill gaps, developing capabilities and approaching challenges with an innovative and logical methodology.What's great about the team?
- Opportunities to work on a diverse range of novel and world class products in ground-breaking fields, often using the latest technologies.
- We are a small but dynamic team. Working closely together, enthusiastically supporting each other with an open and frequent dialogue.
- The team is approached regularly to inform early stage developments, manufacturability and concept efficacy, which allows a more holistic view of the projects.
- The company's culture encourages knowledge sharing with people from all sections of the business happy to take time to share experience.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).Please Note:
MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.