What to expect
The purpose of the role is to develop Engineering Standards, Bills of Design, Foundation DFMEAs and to benchmark competitor components, overseeing the deployment of new knowledge into the annual process through lessons learnt and prevent recurrence (foundation documents and business reporting), ready for use by vehicle programme teams and to support quality improvements and future strategy for components and processes.
The role is also to support the programme Lead Engineers to ensure the technical concepts of the Underbody Commodity Group across all programmes defined and set at iDJ, are compatible with the core technical requirements and programme targets including Cost, Quality and Timing. Further to this, the role is to provide engineering technical support and guidance for Lead Engineers throughout the development of a programmes to ensure that the component specifications are well defined and cascaded to suppliers and other stakeholders to meet all functional requirements and to ensure a robust Engineering sign off of all Underbody components at key Engineering gateways.
Operating in a cross-functional organisation the Engineer will report into the Underbody Group Leader whilst supporting the programme Lead Engineers, Exterior Module Leaders, the Exteriors Product Integration team and the Exteriors Quality Manager.
Based primarily in GDEC at Gaydon, there may be a need to conduct activities at other JLR manufacturing & design locations, or supplier sites, to suit business needs.
* Ensure Bill of Design, Requirements, Foundation FMEAs and Foundation SCSS, as well as timing, Generic cost packs and eSOWs are fit for purpose and kept up to date with learning from Engineers working on the programme.
* Ensure that the programme component specifications are well defined (Cost Pack, ESOW, Engineering Drawings, SCSS) and cascaded to suppliers and other stakeholders to meet all functional requirements.
* Ensure a robust Engineering sign off of all Underbody components at key Engineering gateways with all evidence logged in RMDV.
* Support Group Leader in the generation of Future Strategy papers for Underbody System commodities.Liaise with current and new suppliers to understand latest quality and technological developments.
* Keep abreast of changes in legal, market and customer requirements and action as appropriate.
* Technical support for legacy products - such as from aftermarket when new tools need to be bought off
* Robust closure of Prevent Recurrent AIMS within 90 days.
* Provide technical guidance and general engineering design support for individual programme Lead Engineers with best practise design and recommendations for Underbody System commodities.
* Support the Underbody Quality squad with understanding root cause for Critical Concerns, Quality issues and support with defining solutions to these issues.
* Conduct competitor benchmarking of similar components to capture new learning and further best practise design.
What you'll need
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Successful history in component engineering in the automotive sector, ideally encompassing work with suppliers or other external organisations.
* Previous design, release and delivery experience in Body Engineering with plastic mouldings
* A thorough understanding of Product Creation processes, Engineering Standards and Test Procedures, Foundation Design FMEA, Design Verification (RMDV) processes are required.
* Demonstrable experience in Failure mode avoidance, requirements creation and requirements management.
* Virtual geometry toolset, Microsoft Excel, Power Point and Word are necessary.
* Understanding of vehicle systems, the function which parts deliver and methods of evidencing virtual/physical performance.