- Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
- England, Warrington, Cheshire
- £31931 - £34709 per annum
- Closing date
- 27 Jul 2022
- Job Type
Salary: £31,931 - £34,709 gross per annum
Location: Daresbury, Warrington
Positions: 3 x Open Ended
Hours: Full Time (We understand the importance of work-life balance, and are happy to discuss the possibility of flexible working with applicants)
Software engineers are required to join the Hartree Centre, an innovative and multi-disciplinary Sci-Tech organisation, to work on leading edge innovative projects. If you're looking to use the very latest open-source frameworks and APIs on the client and server in real world applications in a role with career prospects, extensive benefits, and learning & development that is second to none, then this is the job for you. Hartree's mission is to accelerate the adoption of cutting-edge computing to allow the organisations we work with to be innovators in their fields.
The role entails building high-quality proof of concept apps, services, and tools in the cloud, for the web, and for Hartree's cutting-edge HPC/AI/Data analytics systems. We apply professional software engineering craftsmanship to scientific software, undertake R&D across the software engineering discipline to stay at the cutting edge, and help our clients to research innovative solutions. We work across a diverse range of business and scientific domains and collaborate with SMEs, large enterprises and universities to address their most pressing challenges. You will be supported by a friendly and collaborative culture, and while we are serious about results, our experience of getting there is enjoyable and fun. We are well-established, expanding and backed by UK government investment.
- Researching business needs and building new applications, tools & services.
- Maintaining interest in the application of technology in a wide range of domains.
- Writing well structured, tested, readable and maintainable code on the client and server in small agile teams.
- Working with a range of data engineering technologies for managing data at scale.
- Participating in code reviews, refactoring, and presenting your work in knowledge exchange sessions.
- Deploying and scaling applications using CI/CD and managing your work using Git & agile processes.
- Creating high-quality documentation, reports, case studies, and web content.
- Assisting our Business Development team to build new relationships and opportunities.
- Assisting with use case analysis, requirements capture, and project planning.
- Supporting your colleagues by continuing to learn and grow.
We are looking for candidates with experience in some or all of the following:
- A degree or equivalent in a computer-related discipline or applied domain.
- A background in applied software engineering in business or academic sectors.
- Server-side and some client-side application development experience with at least one general purpose programming language (e.g., Java, Kotlin, Python, Go, C++/C#, NodeJS).
- Some experience with data engineering technologies including RDBMs and NoSQL.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A genuine passion for software engineering and technology.
The Hartree Centre
At the Hartree Centre we want to see UK businesses outperform their global competitors. We want our work to contribute to growing the economy, creating skilled jobs, and training people to excel. We are making all this happen and more by enabling UK industry to be at the forefront of technical innovation with the use of the latest Digital, Hybrid Cloud, Data Engineering, High Performance Computing (HPC), Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies. We have a technically exciting computing environment, encompassing a wide range of hardware and software platforms. Our staff are key to our success, and we value them highly.
Reasons our staff enjoy working for us:
- Our state-of-the-art Sci-Tech Daresbury campus is lively and dynamic, co-locating many innovative tech SMEs and multi-disciplinary sci-tech collaborations.
- Located in a picturesque semi-rural location with easy access to canal-side and woodland walking.
- Ability to be based either at the centre at Daresbury or in our distributed office locations (Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Didcot).
- The Centre has adopted a hybrid working culture to enable the optimum combination of collaborative and focused working environments.
- Your career development is important to us. You will have the ability to shape your learning and development to grow your career to encompass your own distinctive area of expertise, to match your goals and the centres.
- An excellent benefits package including a generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 26% with 30 days annual leave plus 10.5 public and privilege days.
- High profile collaborations with organisations such as IBM Research, Unilever, AstraZeneca, and Airbus.
Please include a covering letter outlining how you fit the role criteria. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on 07840857754
The closing date for applications is Sunday 17 July 2022.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and engineering. STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
At STFC, our engineers provide the technology that allows our world-leading science to make a real difference in areas that really matter: from cancer treatment to airport security, high-tech jobs to hydrogen powered cars, energy generation to accident scene emergency care, our impact is felt in many aspects of daily life. We provide and exploit space and astronomy technology, a world-leading neutron scattering facility, ultra-fast supercomputers, amazing scientific instruments and some of the most powerful lasers in the world. We work with industry and academia throughout the UK, Europe and the world.
STFC can offer you an excellent working environment. Our laboratories are based in beautiful rural locations in Cheshire, Oxfordshire and in Edinburgh, with great amenities and quality of life for you and your family. We are at the centre of burgeoning high-tech campuses buzzing with economic investment and even more promise for the future. Our people enjoy attractive benefits and plenty of opportunity for development. Whether you are beginning or furthering your career, we can offer you excellent opportunities to test out and broaden your skills and experience and to gain real technical and managerial expertise working in dynamic team and project environments.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert