THE COMMISSIONERS OF NORTHERN LIGHTHOUSES
Principal Electrical Engineer
The Northern Lighthouse Board is the General Lighthouse Authority for Scotland and the Isle of Man, established by statute to provide, maintain and inspect marine aids to navigation throughout its waters.
Based at the Board’s Headquarters in central Edinburgh (with the option of hybrid working), as Principal Electrical Engineer you will be Technical Authority for all electrical aspects associated with the electrical systems, control systems and monitoring/telemetry systems of NLB Aids to Navigation, Buildings, Masts and Berths. Responsible for the development of electrical policies and standards, definition of planned and unplanned maintenance, approval of electrical designs, drawings, and manuals. Acts as Authorising Officer for Electrical Safety and develops and leads electrical training and electrical competency assessment. Monitors and reviews changes in electrical statutory obligations and national standards and apply as appropriate to NLB policies and standards. Reviews new technologies and assesses their benefits to NLB operations. Carry out ad-hoc audits associated to electrical processes and develop process improvements. Acts as Project Sponsor for Capital Projects. Leads the NLB Electrical Skills Community
The ideal candidate will be a: -
- Chartered Electrical Engineer with associated knowledge of current electrical standards and associated legislation.
- Significant knowledge of the design, inspection and testing of LV and ELV electrical installations.
- Good knowledge of electrical statutory obligations and national standards,
- Working knowledge of Health, Safety & Environmental legislation, and ISO Quality standards and processes.
- Experience of low voltage AC and extra low voltage DC installation design including alternator, battery, battery charger and photo-voltaic systems including their associated protection, instrumentation, and controls.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to influence and communicate at a Senior Management level.
Salary range is £59,901 to £65,242 per annum. Benefits package includes career average pension scheme; flexible working; generous leave arrangements and corporate gym membership.
There is also the opportunity to add real value to a professional organisation dedicated to the safety of those at sea, and to the protection of our maritime environment.
For further details and an application pack please download an application from our website via the 'Apply on website' button.
CLOSING DATE: Tuesday 2nd August 2022
The NLB is an Equal Opportunities employer