The Defence and Space Business Unit in BAE Systems Digital Intelligence delivers mission focused solutions in cyber & electronic warfare, digital transformation and special communications to clients across Land, Sea, Air, Space and Cyber.
We are looking for Software Engineers to join our team following continuous growth and success in our Defence and Space business.
Behind great solutions there are great people: our employees. We pride ourselves on being able to solve some of our customers’ most complex problems.
Our people are what differentiate us, they are ingenious, innovative and dedicated. We have a mix of generalists and specialists and recognise that this diversity contributes to our success. In general, we work in teams. We recognise the benefits of forming teams from a mix of disciplines, which allows us to come up with balanced, high quality solutions.
We work hard and often go the extra mile, but we recognise people’s efforts and that everyone has a life outside of work. We encourage people to speak up if they want to rotate to a new project in support of career development, or even just to face a new challenge.
Our breadth across the UK Government and Defence sectors provides diverse opportunities for our people to develop their careers in new areas of expertise or with new clients.
What you will do for us
Primarily we want people who can code.
Java is at the heart of what we do – so you’ll have to know your way around this to hit the ground running, but you’ll work with a range of technologies.
We need people with various levels of experience at coding - from those reasonably early on their careers who need some support, to those of you who are at the very top of your game. If you already know Java and want to broaden your programming experience then we are happy to help you learn how to get the best out of React, Typescript and Kotlin.
- Designs, codes, tests, correct and documents large and/or complex programs and program modifications from supplied specifications using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result. Takes part in reviews of own work and leads reviews of colleagues' work
- Works closely with other teams in the lifecycle (e.g. build, operations, testing) to ensure that the delivery of software is coherent within the overall pipeline
- Produces or validates the schedule and effort estimate for each task they perform
- Demonstrates an understanding of the importance of schedule and will endeavour to estimate accurately and deliver according to those estimates
- Demonstrates skill and adeptness in team collaboration, technical discussion and negotiation.
- Continually increase personal understanding of the languages, frameworks, technical concepts, methods and measurements that underpin the Engineering disciplines and practices of BAE Systems.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand, challenge, contribute or construct software specification and is capable of building software in line with the specifications
- Exploits appropriate software development methods, languages, libraries and techniques and applies these to software engineering tasks to realise the most effective outcome
- Ensures that all work is consistent with defined standards where standards exist and to withstand professional scrutiny in any case
- Ensures that high quality and delivery standards are met and consistently delivers quality code on time and within estimate.
- Demonstrates the ability to reflect on and improve personal performance
- Works as a member of a development team, collaborates with other team members and participates in technical discussions and conversations with customers.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Due to the nature of our, work successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/united-kingdom-security-vetting