As we move into an exciting phase in our programme, we have opportunities for Environmental Specialists at the start of their careers to join AWE and support our vital role in 'keeping the Nation safe'.
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary: £27,000 per annum plus benefits
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours.
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
Working as part of a team to implement an Environmental Management System, accredited to ISO14001 and will assess environmental risks associated with operations and identify appropriate control measures to prevent or minimize the impact to the environment. AWE has several Environmental Permits, and the role will involve ensuring compliance with permit conditions. In addition to compliance, AWE has an Environmental Sustainability Strategy which sets out the long-term vision and associated goals for becoming a more environmentally sustainable organisation. Environmental Specialists are sustainability champions driving improvement in environmental performance across the business.
The role offers the opportunity to undertake, but is not limited to, 2-3 placements working across the whole project lifecycle including design of new facilities, large modifications of existing facilities, production facilities, research & development facilities, and decommissioning facilities. As well as understanding our interactions with our regulators. The role would be suitable for a postgraduate or environmental professional in the early stages of their career. You will be engaged in technical problem-solving, preparing detailed reports, whilst liaising with a diverse group of people at many levels within the company including operators, facility management, engineers, and regulators.
The Environmental Specialist will:
- Develop skills in environmental management, particularly practical implementation of ISO 14001: 2015.
- Gain experience in development of various environmental assessments e.g., Register of Environmental Aspects, Environmental Risk Assessment, Best Available Technique in line with relevant legislation, industry standards and AWE's policies, procedures, and guidance.
- Continuously develop their understanding of current environmental legislation, the ONR & EA licensing regime, and the fundamental application of the ALARP and BAT principles.
- Whilst supervised, contribute to the production and review of environmental assessments, justifications, and associated documentation.
- Develop skills of sustainability assessments including DREAM, BREEAM and CEEQUAL.
- On the job learning from some of the most senior experts in their area of specialism
- Off the job learning including a series of planned and scheduled opportunities to help develop your knowledge of AWE and your own skills and knowledge
- Placement opportunities across the business, where applicable.
- Support to achieve professional registration, for example working towards chartered status
- In return, we look for individuals with personality and drive, who are proactive, innovative, and hungry to work in a challenging environment.