At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.ch
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization.
Welcome to the Research Fellowship : Science and Engineering.
The Research Fellowship Programme is aimed at graduates from universities studying in the fields of science and engineering holding a PhD degree and up to 3 years’ experience after obtaining their PhD degree. Research Fellowships are intended for PhD graduates looking to work on a research topic and aiming for an academic or research career.
Candidates holding a PhD (or about to hold one) whose specific field of interest is experimental or theoretical physics must apply for the 'Research Fellowship: Theoretical & Experimental Physics': https://smrtr.io/9Pyqc
Please remember that you are applying for a programme and not for a specific job. To this end, please motivate your interest during the interactive online application process, and/or attach a separate motivation letter. As our online application system only allows for alphanumeric values, an attachment may provide you with a greater freedom of expression.
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State. (https://home.cern/about/member-states). A limited number of positions are also available to candidates from Non-Member States.
- You have a PhD (or the defense date is already scheduled, and your PhD will be completed, not later than February 2023).
- You have no more than 3 years’ research experience after completion of your PhD degree.
- Please note that CERN Staff members are not eligible to apply for a Fellowship.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion. In return, CERN will provide you with:
- An employment contract for in principle 24 months, with a possible extension up to 36 months.
- A stipend of 6,650 Swiss francs per month (net of tax).
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund.
- Depending on your individual circumstances: an installation grant, family, child and infant allowances as well as travel expenses to and from Geneva.
- 2.5 days of paid leave per month.
Your future Life @CERN
Get a glimpse of what it’s like to work at CERN: https://careers.cern/benefits and https://careers.cern/our-people
This is how you can apply:
You will need the following documents (in PDF format, as separate files) to complete your application:
- A CV.
- Your most recent relevant qualification.
- A statement of research interests highlighting your plans for the research fellowship (maximum one page).
- Three recent letters of recommendation (not older than a year at the time of the deadline for applications) giving an overview of your academic and/or professional achievements.
- You can upload these letters at the time of application if you have them to hand. You will also be provided with a link as soon as you have submitted your application to forward to your referees to upload their letters confidentially. Please note this must be done before the closing date.
When filling in the online application form, you will also be asked to specify:
- Up to five most important publications to which you have made a significant contribution;
- Up to five international conferences or workshops at which you have given presentations;
- Up to five public or internal notes to which you have contributed personally.
All applications should normally reach us no later than 5 September 2022 at noon (12.00 PM CEST).
Please note that all the documents you upload will remain attached to your Smartrecruiters profile. You do not need to upload them again for other applications you might submit.