Do you have what it takes to play a key role in shaping the electricity distribution network of the future and be at the heart of achieving net zero?
We are Northern Powergrid, and we are responsible for powering everyday life for 8 million people across the North East, Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire. We are a diverse team, creating a smarter, more flexible electricity distribution network that will enable our region to decarbonise and meet the needs of our customers now, and in the future.
The Connections Design Team’s vision is to design connections solutions to directly enable our customers and region’s journey to net zero and wider economic growth.
This is an exciting opportunity at a time of significant and fascinating change within the energy sector. As a Design Team Manager, you will play an integral role.
What will you do?
• Lead a team of designers to deliver LV/HV design solutions for our customers
• Assist designers with technical solutions for unusual scenarios and ensure that decisions are in line with policy and regulatory requirements
• Be responsible for the implementation of changes to design policy and introduce new innovations
• Work with other business units to develop/implement smart solutions for our customers
• Represent Northern Powergrid on industry working groups
• Identify improvements to our engineering policy & business processes working closely with all business units
• Mentor staff in order to produce well rounded professional engineers
• Maintain the well-being of a dispersed team of professional engineers
What’s the package?
Along with a competitive salary of £58,410 to £66,755 (dependent on experience), we also offer great benefits such as:
• Enrolment into our double-matched pension scheme
• 25 days holiday (rising with service) plus bank holidays
• Car allowance / company car scheme
• Payment of professional fees
• Bonus scheme
• Excellent opportunities for career growth
Does this sound like you?
• Team working is essential in this role to develop and implement new solutions and power system policy. You will lead a high-performing team, delivering for our customers
• Confident decision-making skills
• Excellent technical knowledge, which combined with your broader knowledge of the wider industry will ensure our network develops and supports decarbonisation in a smarter, more flexible way
• Problem solving is a must when faced with the scale and pace of change facing us, not to mention the number of exciting challenges and level of innovation required
• Deliver quality outputs to required deadlines
• Excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders from across the business and wider industry
• Embrace change in order to assist with the development of policies and processes for the continuing changes experienced within the connections business
What qualifications and experience should you have?
• Level 5 or 6 (HND, degree, or equivalent) in STEM subject, or a level 4 qualification (e.g., HNC) with at least five years of relevant experience
• Understanding of power system design and operation
• Knowledge of electrical distribution equipment
• Working towards or achieved Chartered Engineer status is desirable
• Driving licence
Click on the Apply button if you think you’re right for this fantastic career or any of the others available right now; and we will be in touch.
Closing date for applications: 15 Aug 2022
Assessments and interviews: completed by 16 September
If we identify that your skills and experience could be suitable for any other roles that we are currently recruiting for, we will put you forward for these opportunities too.