Do you have what it takes to play a key role in shaping the electricity distribution network of the future and be at the heart of achieving net zero?
We are Northern Powergrid, and we are responsible for powering everyday life for 8 million people across the North East, Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire. We are a diverse team, creating a smarter, more flexible electricity distribution network that will enable our region to decarbonise and meet the needs of our customers now, and in the future.
The Policy and Standards team is responsible for developing policy and strategy for the management of network assets throughout their lifecycle, including specification, product assessment, maintenance and refurbishment/replacement.
This is an exciting opportunity at a time of significant and fascinating change within the energy sector. As a Senior Policy & Standards Engineer, you will play an integral role.
What will you do?
• Support the delivery of the current and future price control strategies for overhead lines and underground cable systems
• Develop and review asset policies and strategies that serve existing and future business needs
• Draft and review internal technical specifications, standards, and method statements
• Develop and interrogate asset health data to determine future asset refurbishment/replacement investment requirements
• Produce detailed technical reports on product assessments, product failures and technical innovation
• Provide guidance on technical products to internal customers and develop effective relationships with suppliers
• Undertake product failure investigations, supplier quality assurance inspections of manufacturing premises, and new product evaluations
• Represent Northern Powergrid on national standards bodies and working groups
• Support the professional development of colleagues
What’s the package?
Along with a competitive salary of £62,828 to £73,237 (dependent on experience), we also offer great benefits such as:
• Enrolment into our double-matched pension scheme
• 25 days holiday (rising with service) plus bank holidays
• Car allowance / company car scheme
• Payment of professional fees
• Bonus scheme
• Excellent opportunities for career growth
Does this sound like you?
• Technical Leadership is essential in this role to develop and implement policies and strategies for network products. You will have a senior role in a high-performing team
• Confident decision-making skills, providing technical support to the wider business
• Excellent technical knowledge, with particular focus on overhead lines and underground cable systems
• Problem solving to overcome network challenges
• Deliver quality outputs to required deadlines
• Excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders from across the business and wider industry
What qualifications and experience should you have?
• A minimum of a Level 4 qualification in an engineering discipline (e.g., HNC) and at least five years of relevant experience
• A detailed knowledge of distribution network products, particularly overhead lines and underground cable systems
• Professional membership and working towards Chartered/Incorporated status
• Full current driving licence
Typically, two or three days per week will be spent at the base office, and one or two days at operational sites, suppliers’ facilities or attending national working groups.
Click on the Apply button if you think you’re right for this fantastic career or any of the others available right now; and we will be in touch.
Closing date for applications: 15 Aug 2022
Assessments and interviews: completed by 16 September
If we identify that your skills and experience could be suitable for any other roles that we are currently recruiting for, we will put you forward for these opportunities too.