Do you have what it takes to play a key role in shaping the electricity distribution network of the future and be at the heart of achieving net zero
We are Northern Powergrid, and we are responsible for powering everyday life for 8 million people across the North East, Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire. We are a diverse team, creating a smarter, more flexible electricity distribution network that will enable our region to decarbonise and meet the needs of our customers now, and in the future.
The Smart Grid Development Team’s vision is to develop and implement new solutions and power system policy enhancements to create a smarter, more flexible network that is central to the region’s journey to net zero.
This is an exciting opportunity at a time of significant and fascinating change within the energy sector. As a Smart Grid Development Engineer, you will play an integral role.
What will you do?
• Develop and deliver technical innovation projects
• Implement innovation project outputs from our own projects and those from across the industry
• Produce engineering policy and supporting guidance in line with our obligations and commitments
• Disseminate policy in an effective way to allow users to implement network solutions
• Identify opportunities for Northern Powergrid to more efficiently deliver our outputs for customers
• Represent Northern Powergrid’s interests at national forums for development of policy & guidance on network design
What’s the package?
Along with a competitive salary of £45,943 - £62,828 (dependent on experience), we also offer great benefits such as:
• Enrolment into our double-matched pension scheme
• 25 days holiday (rising with service) plus bank holidays
• Car allowance / company car scheme
• Payment of professional fees
• Bonus scheme
• Excellent opportunities for career growth
Does this sound like you?
• Team working is essential in this role to develop and implement new solutions and power system policy. You will be part of a high-performing team, leading change
• Confident decision-making skills
• Excellent technical knowledge, which combined with your broader knowledge of the wider industry will ensure our network develops and supports decarbonisation in a smarter, more flexible way
• Problem solving is a must when faced with the scale and pace of change facing us, not to mention the number of exciting challenges and level of innovation required
• Deliver quality outputs to required deadlines
• Excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders from across the business and wider industry
What qualifications and experience should you have?
• Level 5 or 6 (HND, degree, or equivalent) in STEM subject, or a level 4 qualification (e.g., HNC) with at least three years of relevant experience
• Understanding of power system design and operation • Knowledge of electrical distribution equipment
Click on the Apply Now button if you think you’re right for this fantastic career or any of the others available right now; and we will be in touch.
Closing date for applications: 15 Aug 2022
Assessments and interviews: completed by 16 September
If we identify that your skills and experience could be suitable for any other roles that we are currently recruiting for, we will put you forward for these opportunities too.