Description of role:
We are seeking to appoint a Welding Engineer (Senior Project Leader or above depending on experience) for the Arc Processes, Fabrication and Welding Engineering (AWE) Section of the Advanced Manufacturing Technologies Group based at our headquarters in Cambridge, with a satellite site in Middlesbrough.
The AWE Section delivers a broad range of projects to an international customer base, often with demanding requirements, including welding engineer support and welding/additive manufacture process development, and is seeking to profitably grow its business in the energy, defence and electrification sectors as well as developing oil & gas and construction engineering opportunities.
As a Welding Engineer in our team, you will propose, manage and deliver projects for our customers, as well as supporting day-to-day customer enquiries. Success in your application will require EWF/IIW Welding Diploma at Engineer level coupled with an appropriate qualification at degree level or significant demonstrable experience in welding engineering coupled with vocational qualifications, making you a Certified Welding Engineer.
To be successful, you will need to show:
- An ability to understand and assess technical problems, enabling you to generate solutions through application of process knowledge, experimental trials and process development.
- The ability to identify and develop leads during technical conversations and to generate ideas for internal/external/collaborative development projects.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills applicable to scoping, launch and delivery of projects to time, cost and quality targets.
- Close collaboration with engineering and technical support colleagues to meet customer expectations.
- Effective communication through various media (written, verbal & IT) to support business development, customer enquiries and project delivery in a direct customer-facing role.
Knowledge and experience in the following areas is essential:
- Arc welding process deployment.
- Arc welding implementation in industry (including support of new processes and users).
- Codes and Standards (eg ASME, EN ISO, API etc.),
- Weld inspection and testing.
- Welding procedure specification and qualification.
This position will require travel both in the UK and abroad.
British nationals with the ability to attain security clearance will be able to engage with some of our customers in greater application-specific detail, allowing greater impact in the role; this is a desirable attribute.
TWI Ltd is a world expert in engineering, materials and joining technologies. We provide industry with advice and know-how in design, fabrication, failure analysis and prevention.
TWI Ltd is committed to treating all employees fairly and to being an inclusive employer. Our aim is to create a work environment where our employees can reach their full potential. We put Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of our people practices to attract, develop and retain the best talent.
Closing Date: 22nd August 2022
Reference number: 132/22
For further details, please click on the Job Description link below:
As one of the world’s leading independent research and technology organisations, we are committed to attracting, motivating and retaining the best talent from around the world. Our goal is to develop the next generation of experts to address future industry challenges.
We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and respects the differences between people while valuing the contribution everyone makes to TWI.
We recognise the diversity of our staff and students makes a positive and important contribution to our continuing success.
TWI offers a comprehensive training programme, incorporating both in-house and external courses to support staff development.
Building effective working relationships, we accomplish more together
Innovation and Expertise
Championing new ideas and sharing knowledge with each other
Achieving our objectives and personal development
Building trusting relationships with our customers
Accepting and engaging positively with change
Valuing the contribution from every individual, creating value for our customers