A Senior Firmware Engineer within the XD team can expect to be involved in the full lifecycle of product development, from concept, design, through delivery, and into support. We predominately use Intel (previously Altera) FPGAs, with code developed using VHDL. As this is predominately an active hands-on role, solid experience with VHDL is a must, as is a familiarity with at least 1 modern FPGA tool chain (ideally Intel but could be Xilinx, Achronix, or similar). As with most current FPGA designs, we make significant use of the provided embedded blocks within those FPGAs, so any experience in integrating with these would be highly valuable.
As with most senior engineers, you would be expected to lead small teams of 1-3 junior engineers, and provide support and mentoring through their activities.
The BAE Systems Digital Intelligence Cross-Domain product team consists of circa 50 people predominately based in our Gloucester office, and sits within the wider products group of approximately 200 engineers. As an integral part of 3500 strong BAE Systems Digital Intelligence capability in the UK, we look to recruit good engineers to help meet our customer’s needs. In return we offer engaging technical challenges to solve, a collaborative and trusted work environment and the opportunity to develop a career that can encompass the full range of the company’s activities, form product development, research, technical consultancy, business consultancy, and customer engagement.
Due to the nature of our work in Cross-Domain, candidates must hold, or be eligible to gain UK security clearance and meet nationality requirements. Additionally, we cannot offer regular remote working, but do provide a flexible working environment that respects the needs of our people’s personal lives.
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.