Principal Mechanical Engineer:
Would you like the opportunity to work on a wide range of Naval Ship classes? We currently have a vacancy for a Principal Mechanical Engineer at our site in Barrow-in-Furness.
As a Principal Mechanical Engineer, you will be involved in the future developments of Naval Ship capabilities whilst working with a diverse range of stakeholders and customers including the UK MoD and Royal Navy.
This role will provide you with future opportunities for development through our Engineering projects group.
Your main responsibilities as a Principal Mechanical Engineer will involve:
● Define system technical requirements and apply these to the development of design solutions for Marine equipment and systems
● Leading design justification activities for Marine system design. This should include conducting Mechanical simulation and assessments in structural, fluid and heat transfer domains
● Apply analysis outputs to demonstrate compliance with safety, functional and performance requirements.
● Producing technical reports, equipment specifications, statements of work and undertaking technical management of suppliers
● Establishing and maintaining relationships with MoD stakeholders, test facilities, sub-contractors, suppliers, and customers as required to meet the needs of the project
Your skills and qualifications:
● Degree qualified in Mechanical or Marine Engineering or equivalent working experience
● Previous experience working in Marine Systems Engineering
● Knowledge of the Systems Engineering Lifecycle
● Ability to apply good System Engineering practices to duties
● Experience in applying Naval Marine codes and standards to the design of systems and specifications of equipment
● Awareness of operating requirements of Naval platforms and their Engineering systems
● Previous experience in technical leadership of projects and people through both bid and delivery phases
● Experience in delivering feasibility and concept studies for future upgrades to Naval platforms
What we are looking for in you:
● Self-motivated individual with the ability to lead projects and work to own initiative
● Strong communication skills both written and verbality
● Comfortable liaising with stakeholders at various levels
● Logical and practical problem solver
Salary: Up to £62,000 dependent on skills and experience
Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.