Senior Warhead Systems Engineer
- Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE)
- Basingstoke, Hampshire, England / England, Berkshire
- £42650 - £65000 per annum
- Closing date
- 27 Aug 2022
- Design, Mechanical, Nuclear, Project Engineering, Other
- Aerospace & Aviation, Defence, Industrial, Nuclear Industry, Sciences
- Job Type
Are you looking to apply your working knowledge of engineering, science and systems thinking to support unique and essential projects for the UK's nuclear deterrent? If so, this could be your next role!
This is a great opportunity to work with a diverse team of people with an important mission to deliver. The role comes with excellent benefits including every other Friday off work!
Senior Warhead Systems Engineer
Location: Reading / Basingstoke Area (role is office based)
Salary: £42,650 - £65,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement 270 hours a year (inclusive of bank Holidays) plus every other Friday off
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
Warhead Engineering are looking for a motivated and experienced individual to lead and conduct systems engineering activities to support future weapon system development. The role has a focus on technical product security and involves the analysis and assessment of threats to the product across the warhead lifecycle and, the development of the product security sub-system to provide mitigation. Although not a purist systems engineer role, the role requires the mindset of a systems thinker and the application of systems engineering methods, approaches, tools and techniques. The role is within a specialist area so opportunities for relevant training and development will be provided.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading stakeholder engagement activities to collaborate with other areas of the business, the customer, government agencies (international and domestic) and regulators to support multiple Warhead Engineering projects
- Developing and using tools and techniques to conduct domain specific analysis and assessments from system to component level
- Applying Subject Matter Expertise to help influence the system design and solution, working alongside multiple engineering and scientific disciplines
- Influencing, capturing and translating stakeholder vision into system and sub-system requirements
- Developing Concept of Operations and system architectures (functional and physical)
- Generating and managing Validation & Verification evidence
- Producing high quality technical reports, presentations and project artefacts as required by company Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) process and project delivery
- Developing your own expertise in the area and where appropriate, providing support and mentoring to less experienced engineers
Developing your own expertise in the area and where appropriate, providing support and mentoring to less experienced engineers
The role requires someone with:
- Strong communication and exceptional soft skills to work with people and teams to both discover and share key information
- Ability to define approaches to progress from the uncertain early stages of a development and drive through to definition of solutions
- Innovative systems thinking approach
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to embrace the variety of activities which are part of the role
- Ability to manage and deliver objectives on time to high quality
To be considered for the role candidates will ideally have an HNC/HND or degree qualification in a science or engineering discipline or proven experience working in a similar environment.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
Occasional travel to the US for partnering opportunities may be required.
We’re looking for talented and ambitious people to join us in our work at the forefront of nuclear defence engineering, science and technology.
To work at AWE is to play a valuable part in keeping our country safe and secure.
Working at AWE gives you access to exceptional technologies, facilities and projects no ordinary company can provide – and the support of world-class professionals at every stage of your career.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert